public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: plie or tendu
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:13 pm 

As the school year is finishing up I'm starting a debate among my older kids and asking which the plie or the tendu is more important?? you can leave the floor w/ out both of them, I realize that no one part of the vocabulary is more important than the others just trying to make the kids think a little. Just wondering if anyone here would give their thoughts
thanks guys
~K~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: plie or tendu
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:59 pm 

The only thing I preach when I teach, is that Ballet IS plie and tendu. That is what determines your level you will achieve in your career. Not what it looks like, (how deep it is, or how it looks)but how you do it and use it. If you dont have any of that forget it. Dont bother. The thing that I have seen from all great dancers is their ability to work their feet through every inch of their foot. And their plie is always very suple. Those two issues is what the base of ballet is all about, and like a building, if you base is weak, there will be a permanent flaw in your design.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: plie or tendu
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:41 pm 

Could not have said better meself AC.

NOTE: Foot articulation should be practiced with every tendu religiously. Foot strength is imperative when beginning pointe work.

NOTE: As for Shin Splints -Plie is the dancers best friend!

Just a few thoughts ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]