public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Performance and Jitters
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:16 pm 

I'm performing one of my self choreographed pieces in my College variety show tomorrow night ( It's Lyrical Jazz with some ballet mixed in.) and whenever I attempt to perform the piece IN the theater, I end up clamming up something awful and making up stuff as I go along. ( Not that it's bad, as everyone raves about whatever I do...but it's just unerving to me...) Yet, when I practice it during my studio hour at the college, I hit every move!

I'm trying to find a way to try to stop this from happening....but to no avail. Please help!

Also, in the beginning of the routine, I'm in a pose on the floor and I can't seem to find a decent way to gracefully rise out of that pose and into the 3 chaine turns to stage left to prep for my developpe to the front that marks the first sixteen counts of the music. Can you give me a few tips?

The music is #2 on the Prince of Egypt soundtrack starting from the :27 second mark, for reference if you're familliar with it.

Thanks in advance!

Marquita

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Performance and Jitters
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:20 pm 

Hi, Marquita! Is the problem simply getting up off the floor gracefully? What pose are you in? Try to be specific about which leg is where, etc. Are the turns to the left, or are they to the right, but heading stage left?

By the way, I'm a firm believer in something a dance composition teacher told me, which is that an opening pose shouldn't be something that you just immediately abandon by taking off and doing something unrelated. The movements you start with should be something that that pose suggests. In other words, the pose itself might be striking, but it shouldn't be used if it's not going to relate to the rest of the dance.

<small>[ 29 April 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:49 am 

Ok,
I'm sitting on my bottom with both legs tucked in underneath me.

Those chaine turns are right ones en dedans ( looks left like I'm going left to to the audience with the turns en dehors.)

Does this help?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:10 pm 

Hi there...Rise to your knees first(perhaps adding a breath in your arms as you rise), slip either your right or left leg forward to a kneeling position (if your forward leg is turned out, either way is fine)and add another portebra (whatever feels graceful to you) as you rise which will make getting off the floor more graceful to watch...and take a breath with your body before you lilt into your chaines...If you are nervous, just concentrate on how much you love to dance and enjoy moving to your music. You will really enjoy your dance this way and not think too much about the audience. Have fun!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:10 pm 

Yes, putting weight on one leg and then "spiraling" up and out of this position (unwinding, so to speak)is how I might recommend getting where you need to go!

I agree about focusing only on the steps, sequences and a little on what comes up ahead and trying to shove any nervous thoughts out (or to "re-direct" them!) is a great way to handle performances. Know how much you love moving!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]