public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pilates
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 8:41 am 

So this summer My whole goal is to stregthen myself more through ballet as well as other forms of exercise. However, I've always been skeptical about taking up an exercise that would affect my ballet training. Lately I've been looking up pilates information. I was wondering if anyone who teaches it or does it can explain to me some advantages and disadvantages. Also, I noticed that if you visit the discount dance supply website, they have an at home training using "resistance bands" and "at home pilates" How does this strengthen your muslces? and is either safe?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pilates
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:00 pm 

Salima, good question. Pilates has been discussed quite a bit here. If you click on "search" and type in Pilates, specifying the search for all Forums, you'll come up with lots of information. <P>I think you'll see that it is widely believed that Pilates is a system which can be beneficial to ballet dancers.<P>I am not familiar with the "at-home" systems you mention. I think I'd want to work with a qualified instructor before even contemplating the "do-it-yourself" approach.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:41 pm 

Thanks Nancy I will defintely do a search. <P>Nancy, what do you know about resistance bands? <P>Here's the website on the at "home" pilates. I encourage anyone to take a look at it and let me know what your first impression is. Especially a teacher's point of view, as a teacher would you allow any of your students to do this?<BR> <A HREF="http://www.discountdancesupply.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/main_index.html&referrer=" TARGET=_blank>http://www.discountdancesupply.com/frame_set.php3?mf=/main_index.html&referrer=</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:42 pm 

I agree totally with Nancy....best to start with an instructor.<P>And using the "search" mechanism is another good idea that Nancy has given you.<P>Maggie, one of our moderators, is a Pilates instructor and I am sure when she sees your questions she will have excellent information for you.<P>In the meantime, you can read the wealth of information she has given in the past, by using the search mechanism.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 12:44 pm 

The website doesn't right to it, go into to viedos and CD's, and its the first one on the left.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 2:33 pm 

Let's see if this takes you to it:<P><A HREF="http://www.discountdancesupply.com/catpages/product_706.html" TARGET=_blank><B>Pilates</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 2:34 pm 

I just tried the above link...and it took me right thereto the Pilates video, so I hope it works for all of you, too.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 4:18 am 

SalimaC, I strongly suggest that you first work with a teacher. While Pilates is considered "exercise", I feel that the true effects are recieved with instruction, much as you could consider ballet "exercise" it should be and is best taught by a teacher. You "could" learn the exercises from a book or video but the results would be similar as learning ballet from a book or video. Those tools could be useful, but really only if you have some good prior experience being taught. Pilates work is very specific, from "the inside out". I think you will be very pleased with the results.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]