public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help me PLEASE!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:30 am 

I am currently going back into dance from a long time out. I am not worried about it much but I do need money advice. My parents can't afford to send me to classes and so I have to pay for them on my own. Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to make money for lessons? I currently have a job, it pays way below minnimum wage and I only can work there once a week. With dance in the evenings, how can I pay for classes?
Thnx for the help
Crys

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help me PLEASE!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:12 pm 

If you are lucky enough to live in Canada, you can apply for a CADA membership (canadian alliance of dance artists). They will reimburse you $5 for every dance or bodywork (pilates, yoga etc)class that you take. All you have to do is keep your reciepts and submit them at the end of the month for reimbursement.

Also, most dance studios/schools that offer drop-in classes have class cards that you can buy offering discounted rates. You could suggest that your family pitch in together and buy you a class card for your birthday/Xmas, whatever - that way you will be able to dance for free (until the card runs out, anyways - usually the come in 5 or 10 class denominations)! Even If you have to buy one for yourself, it's still cheaper than paying the full price every class.

Hope that helps a little!
Shallom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:19 pm 

Maybe you can ask to help out in some way at your studio? Cleaning up or working in the office? I had friends who were on scholarship in NY and that is what they did in return for lessons.

My mother worked in the costume dept of my school in return for my lessons. After I left school she started a little coffee shop at the studio so that she could offer scholarships to other kids who needed the help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:38 am 

Yes, talk to your teacher to let her/him know what your need is. Otherwise, they won't be aware of it and cannot offer help or suggestions. Most studios will try to find ways to keep students, as the thinking is that it's better to have people IN class than not!

I liked the idea of asking for a class card for a special occasion. And Lucy is very correct in that many (including moi!) have helped out at our local studios.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]