CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Floor barre?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 2:51 pm 

In a few months time i am going to start some basic ballet classes. I have been told that as an extra class they have floor barre classes. Does anybody know what this is?

Post subject: Re: Floor barre?
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:07 pm 

The one that I take is similar to a ballet class but all the exercises are done on the floor on your back, stomach, and side. We work on alignment and abdominal strength.

It's more like an exercise class than a dance class, though all the excercises are specifically based on ballet barre, with proper ballet alignment in mind. I find these classes very helpful.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:17 pm 

Thanks! I am a complete beginner at ballet and i wanted to know if you reccommend this type of class?
Is it good is that the floor barre lesson is 12.30-1.20pm and the ballet class in 1.30-3pm.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 3:51 pm 

darealhoney,
You should ask your teacher for an assessment as well. That sounds like a lot of hours for a beginner but I don't know...

I'm not a ballet teacher and am more familiar with higher-level training but there's a lot of good teachers here who will have advice. I don't consider myself qualified to recommend a particular course of study for a beginner. I will say that in general, I've found my floor barre class to be very beneficial. Mine is very particular to the teacher that I have and was developed by her especially to work on her technique theories..other classes may be different.

If you're feeling over-tired or hurt, remember to always tell your teacher. It important for them to know what's going on with you. They'll be much more capable of giving you advice on workload and training schedule since they'll be the one working with you on a daily basis.

Are you choosing classes right now? Did you phone and ask the school what they recommend for a beginner course?

<small>[ 02 May 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: lampwick ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:07 am 

No I haven't yet, but I'm going to go and visit the dance place and ask if its recommened. I don't want to do a class that will strain me too much. Thanx 4 your help.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:33 am 

[I asked my own teacher, and this is what she said] Floorbarre was invented by an American lady in the nineteen seventies especially for injured ballet dancers who were working their way back and had to keep on training their other "working" bodyparts in order to maintain their technique and strength through their recovery process. Since then, floorbarre is now used by non-injured non-ballet dancers as well.

For example: I myself did an amateur dance-training the past semester, prior to taking the regular modern classes offered at the school. This training was aimed specifically at beginners and since I haven't danced for over a decade, the teacher advised me to take this training before moving on to the regular modern class. half the training was floorbarre. I'd have preferred regular barre work though; it is just too much of a culture-shock to suddenly have to stand up and do f.e. passes in an upright position when you've been used to doing them on the ground. But then again, I was among the youngest students in class, so my guess would be that floorbarre is better for older students.

Tex.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:18 am 

Hmm...in the late '60s I studied for awhile with a teacher who started her classes with a floor barre, and this was a class for non-injured dancers. Perhaps your teacher is thinking of one particular floor barre (namely, the one invented by the person she was referring to).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:29 pm 

Bad idea for a begginer, unless you have the abdominals and flexability to hold your legs at a 90 degree angle for a while. You will just teach yourself bad alignment and never get anything out of it. Personally I think if you work a ballet class correct you need nothing else. Besides some basic excersices for the abs that is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:52 am 

AC,
I wonder why you feel this way. In my floor barre class, the emphasis is on correct alignment. There is no way to teach yourself poor alignment since the teacher will correct you as soon as she sees something incorrect. I've seen many students who have accelerated thier training quite effectively by supplimenting ballet technique with these classes.

I also feel as though many people don't have the strength or knowledge to even do "basic" abdominal exercises without supervision. Many people try and do crunches without understanding how to hold thier muscles correctly and end up "bulking" out, or worse, hurting thier back. Abdominal work for ballet shouldn't just be an isolated exercise. Done correctly, floor barre can teach you how the abdominal cavity and back assist in technique. In fact, they are absolutely necessary.

Also, a good teacher can show a student alternative approaches if the exercise is too difficult for thier level of fitness.

I only know one form of floor barre which is taught by my ballet teacher (and I'm still only beginning with it). But I've seen many students, beginner-professional, who have benefited tremendously.

Perhaps other methods are quite different.

<small>[ 30 June 2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: lampwick ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:26 pm 

First of all Lampwick that is the smartest thing I have ever heard said, "Bulk"out the ab muscles. I have been trying to teach people that there is a right and a wrong way to build your stomach for years now. I am so thankful that someone else gets it too. As for the floor barre class, what I meant to say is I think that you need to be at a certain level to start taking one, and I am not implying age. A certain amount of flexablity and strength and knowledge of the body needs to be there before someone lays down and attemps this work. Look around at your regular ballet class and see who has any sort of a sway back, then when you go to floor barre class see if they are working that way on the floor. It will not be swayed the whole time. Only when the legs get to the "work" area of the exercise, the back will arch. It is very sublte and is hard to catch even as a really good teacher. I dont know just something to check out if you can. It is just things that I have noticed before.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:08 am 

AC--I'm lucky to have found a really gifted ballet teacher who takes a solid scientific approach. For years, I did a zillion bad crunches and still couldn't hold a decent extension. Now I know why. I'm still pretty weak in that area (by ballet standards) but after only six months of working with her, my body is completely changing shape. My adagio work especially is exponentially more stable and easy to execute. I'm still waiting for that perfect line a la seconde though. A few of the girls I study with have legs that just look like they weigh nothing. Floating up there in really high extensions. Patience and perseverence will hopefully pay off. It's the one thing that keeps me from looking really great (well--the big thing :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:04 am 

Actually floor barre predates Zena Rommett, having its earliest incarnation that I know of with Boris Kniasseff in the 1950s.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:11 am 

In my ballet class we do floorbarre every other week. It has helped me a lot with my hip alignment. You can really tell when your position is off. I am in a higher level ballet though. I'm not sure if it would have been as beneficial to me as a beginner. I think that when you begin you first need to familiarize yourself with the excercises, before taking them to the floor.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:52 pm 

Lampwick I am very curious to know who your teacher is if you dont want to post it email me
thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]