public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Overturning
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 4:54 pm 

Is it an inevitability that a dancer will, to some degree, overturn? If so, how do we minimalize it- and at what points is it the worst?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Overturning
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 4:56 pm 

Sorry y'all- by overturning I mean pushing mor turnout using not just the turnout muscles, but allowing turnout from the knees and ankles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2001 5:05 pm 

I don't see why it should be an inevitability. The dancer has to learn to be aware of her body and what is happening to it.<P> The simplest check is in demi-plié - knees have to be over toes. If knees are more inward than toes - then the feet are over turned out -with the knees taking up the torque - and therefore open to injury.<P>If you learn whre the turnout really is - in the hips - then your feet will know where to go - it becomes a learned habit. And then if you should over turnout you will feel it. I know I do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:05 am 

Does anyone else find that the turnout sometimes cause a 'scraping' feeling inside the hip joints when you straighten up from demi-plie (I just tried your test Basheva and my knees appear in the correct position). I find this when doing tendu to the side as well and certain other movements.<BR>Perhaps its something to do with the position of the pelvis? If i curve my lower back a little the problem is a slightly lesser, but then i lose the 'straight-backed' look, and a curved back does not look so good. Any ideas or does anyone else get this odd sensation?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2001 5:09 am 

Bagspussmiaow - I can't say that I have ever felt that scraping nor have I had a student ever mention it to me. I have heard of "popping" but not "scraping".<P>I would say, however, that you should not purposefully curve your back, other than its natural curves, to avoid this. But I would recommend that you turnout a bit less and see if that alleviates the problem. Also discuss this with your teacher.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]