public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Barre Work
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 10:00 am 

I have been shown several ways to do bar work and I was wondering what do you guys consider to be a complete and comprehensive bar program/routine for practice?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Barre Work
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:14 am 

Whimsical - there are as many variations in barre composition as there are teachers and brain cells to think of them. It is truly infinite. <P>Some of us who are syllabus teachers probably teach, much of the time though not all the time, a fairly set barre - one that has been composed by that syllabus. <P>But then there are others of us (me, for instance) who are not syllabus teachers and make up our own. Some of us make up a new barre weekly, monthly, or daily. I always made up a new barre everyday for every class- it's just my way of doing it.<P>Both methods have advantages - and disadvantages.<P>As for how a barre might be constituted depends on the technical level and age of the students. A teacher makes up a barre to incorporate certain ideas that she feels the class needs to work on - or to introduce a new concept. Sometimes a barre can have a theme - such as:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000177.html><B>Barre - Glissade Theme</B></A><P>I have also made up a barre with a fouetté theme, for example. <P>But the basic barre usually breaks down somewhat thus:<P>pre-warm up - ankles, gentle stretch, head rolls, shoulder rolls, etc.,<P>pliés<P>tendu - avec plié & sans plié<P>degagé (some of us have differing names for this.<BR>a quicker degagé<P>rond de jambe a terre<P>frappé<P>petit battement<P>fondu<P>rond de jambe en l'air<P>adage<P>grand battement<P>stretch<P>I hesitated to type that in because it could be put into a different order - and so much depends on the level of the class. But that's the basic composition I think.<P>( couple of weeks ago at the request of several students, I e-mailed out a barre I made up for them, if anyone is interested I will paste it in.)<P>Let's see what others thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 11:49 pm 

I do the RAD and what Basheva wrote is about the barre we do at each syllabus.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 8:29 am 

Basheva - <BR>Would you include battements glissés with tendus?<BR>And what about grands battements en cloche?<BR>A ports de bras and back exercise during the stretch, or perhaps on its own?<BR>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:05 am 

Red Shoes - so much depends on the level of the students.<P>I think what I call degagé you might call glissé. Around here no one calls them glissé. (A tendu that lifts a couple of inches off the floor - done at different tempos from fairly slowly to very fast, sometimes emphasis in, sometimes with emphasis out).<P>Yes, I just checked (after I typed the above, naturally, LOL) in Gail Grant's "Technical Manual and Dictionary of the Clsssical Ballet" on page 18, she says that battement glissé and battement degagé are the same thing. So as you can see in my above post I do them - often two sets at increasing tempo and complexity.<P>Would I include degagé within a tendu exercise? Probably not. I think that tendu is so very important that it gets to be done separately, in my barres. And I usually keep that fairly simple, so that full attention can be placed on articulating the foot and warming up the alignment.<P>As for battement cloche - yes, I usually do include that both with straight leg and bent (attitudes) for my students and always for myself. But I certainly wouldn't give it to beginners. They would have to have acquired correct placement and the ability to control that swinging leg without displacing that alignment.<P>As for back exercise or any of the stretches - cambré, side to side, grand circling port de bras - I always included them throughout the barre as a coda for each exercise. Likewise a different finishing balance (attitude front and back, arabesque, a la seconde, retiré, sur la cou-de-pied, etc.), - included throughout the barre.<P>Port de bras of course are included in each exercise. I like a moving arm with many of the barre exercises. But as for working only on the arms - alone - I very much am inclined to do that in the center - sometimes the first thing in the center with a tendu. Emphasizing smooth directional changes with moving arms. <P>The Cecchetti system of port de bras exercise is a favorite of mine, with my own embellishments as the level of the class warrants. <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 9:57 am 

I should clarify - when I said in the above post that "around here no one calls them glissé" - I meant in the San Diego area, that I am aware of.<P>We did have a teacher who came from Germany in the 1970's and she called them glissé, but she changed to degagé. She is the only one that I can think of. Maybe it is an area specific thing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 5:53 pm 

Most of my teachers in NY called them degages, or sometimes battement jetes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 6:54 pm 

Basheva, I would love for you to Email me a copy of your barre, or to create a thread. Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:40 am 

Here is the barre Rachel requested - it is fairly simple - if you want the center work let me know.<P>Barre:<P>Face the barre in first position – hands together – that’s important – that will require your back to work instead of the barre doing the work. Point front right foot, flex - articulate every part of the foot, flex point., close back to first position and demi-plié. Repeat to the side, and back. Repeat with left foot. Then, demi plié, relevé, demi-plié relevé, and balance, hold 8 counts. Demi plié straighten. Point side with the right foot and stretch to the side away from the pointed foot. Repeat with the left foot – stretching to the right. Point place in second position. Two grand pliés a la seconde, and stretch to the side and to the back – and then the other side and back. Relevé – balance.<P>Now stand with left hand on barre, right foot front in fifth position. Two demi pliés in fifth, point to second and close back in fifth, two more demi pliés, point to second and close front fifth and stretch forward and back (cambré) and then relevé and balance, detourné to other side and repeat the fifth position pliés, cambré and balance.<P>Tendu avec plié – fifth position, left hand on barre, tendu devant, close fifth, and then plié, tendu to front and plié as you come in (that’s different from the first time – this one happens at the same time – the first one happened AFTER the close to fifth). Then tendu twice more to the front, plié. Do en croix. Relevé and cambré front and back in relevé and balance – detourné to other side.<P>Tendu sans plié: (this is fairly quick – all closures are in fifth unless otherwise indicated) two tendu to the front, two to back (inside leg), two to the side closing in first position, and two to the side closing fifth front and fifth back -–reverse – two to the back, two to the front (inside leg), two to the side in first, and two to the side in fifth ending with right foot in front, 5th position., four passés. Now repeat the entire thing without holding onto the barre. Turn and do the other side.<P>Degagé: Fifth position: This first degagé in done in four counts and breaks down all the movements: Point to the front, lift two inches off the ground and close and then three degagés to the front (one count each) and passé (that’s the fourth count), close to fifth in back. Repeat to the back, you will end up in front. To the side – 8 degagés closing to first and 8 closing to fifth – arms making full circles – outward on the closings to first and inward on the fifth closings. You will end up in fifth right foot front. Four passés relevé, hold the last one for a balance. You can repeat the entire thing without the barre.<P>Rond de jambe a terre: On the introduction demi plié point front, and rond to the back, straighten, come through first and point to the front, put your heel down in fourth position, then point and rond to second, put your heel down in second, then point and rond to the back and put your heel down, point. And close in first, demi plié. Eight rond de jambs en dehors, close back and reverse all. Tombé to wide fourth front and stretch over and then cambré back, pull up, and point to second, and stretch into the barre and away, point to the back, cambré front (without moving your back pointing foot at all) and then backbend over your pointing foot – without putting any weight on it. Pull the leg up with your back muscles as you straighten, stand in arabesque (flat) and balance.<P>Frappé: The first frappé out breaks down the movement into four counts - stand sur la cou-de-pied, right foot at the ankle of the left foot, place the ball of your foot on the ground and then slowly frappé out to the front – this is done in four counts – at the ankle is one count, ball of the foot on the floor is two, frappé out is three and hold out there is the fourth count – do that en croix. Then one frappé en croix four times ( you can double or triple them), coupé under, coupé over, and then petit battement for 8 counts, rise and relevé (petite serré if you wish, 16 counts) balance sur la cou-de-pied.<P>Rond de jambe en l’air: degagé to second and do 4 rond de jambe en l’air ( being sure to go out slowly and come in quickly), coming through retiré extend to the front, side , come to retiré again and extend front again and do a relevé fouetté en de hors ending, a la seconde, relevé. Repeat all to the back – the fouetté will be en dedans, and end in second. While still in relevé second, pivot into the barre, the leg is now is arabesque, balance, close fifth and turn to other side.<P>Adage: Developpé front, passé to arabesque avec plié, straighten, rond to second, close fifth and developpé a la seconde, retiré and attitude to the back relevé, balance, close fifth and reverse. This will end you in attitude relevé devant, leave your leg there and pivot into the barre and to the other side, plié, close fifth and do the other side.<P>Grand battement: Very simple – two en croix, and 8 en cloche. End up in front – and repeat all WITHOUT HOLDING ONTO THE BARRE.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]