public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: brise volee
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 11:19 am 

Just kind of taking a poll here, after you beat front and are in the fondu do you brush your leg thru 1st or do a rond de jambe to beat to the back?? I was always taught and have always seen a brush thru first. I've started a new ballet class and the teacher, who speaks little english, just kept telling me i was doing it wrong, but i finally figured out he was telling me to rond not brush. We've developed a down graded blue bird solo for me to work on my jumping and tours, so thats where the brise comes in, dont get me started on the pas de passion or the tours......<BR>~K~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: brise volee
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2001 12:57 pm 

Good question Kyle - I was taught both methods. I personally like the one with the rond better, it seems to give my brisé volé more of a push off.<P>There are also several ways to finish it - with a low attitude, or a straight leg, or sur la cou-de-pied.<P>I always had to concentrate on getting arms right - that was the tough part to me.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 21, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 2:18 am 

I learned it both ways, too, Kyle, and figured out on my own that there were different ways to finish it. It you are learning Blue Bird (way to go!), I can see why the teacher wanted the rond de jambe in there, as I think I've always seen Blue Bird with the circle. But, in general, the brush is not wrong, it's just another way of doing it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 9:24 am 

I've also done it both ways, but the RAD insisted on the brush through first, if I remember correctly after all these years...

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2001 4:54 pm 

nancy,<P>Notice that I said down graded version of "Blue Bird"....I had a horrible dream that the intensive I'm going to this summer wanted me to do a solo and that was it, the real version...scary<BR>~K~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 2:07 am 

Kyle, sorry you had a scary dream. Perhaps by the end of your summer intensive, you'll be able to do the "real thing!" Which intensive are you doing?<P>I popped in my Royal Ballet tape of Sleeping Beauty (Viviana Durante, Anthony Dowell et al.) last night, just to check on Blue Bird, and the brise vole looks to have the rond on the second half.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 5:18 am 

Nancy, now that you mention it.....hmmmmm....<P>I have seen it done with the rond only on the second half, and the brush on the first half. I had forgotten about that. Thank you.<P>For me, I did the rond on both halves, that seemed more natural to me - to my body.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 6:16 am 

Nancy<P>I'm going to the University of South Carolina Summer Dance Conservatory, kind of on a fluke but thats another story...Should be good, they have an awesome looking staff lined up for us, my first intensive at age 19 will be interesting...<P>I saw Sleeping Beauty 2 years ago by Moscow Festival Ballet (I think) and I remember paying so much attention to the Blue Bird solo cause I had always heard about it and I remember noticing that who ever the solist was brushed, so I guess thats why I've always brushed <BR>~K~

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]