public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Repetto Pointe Shoes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 10:56 pm 

Anyone using them? I really like # 217, even though I don't know what makes them so specal! I think they have a great flexible shank; as a matter of fact I prefer soft shanks to hard ones, since it's easier to roll rfom demi to full pointe, and it just looks more beautiful. However, someone told me, that this might be a sign to throw them away - is that true?

Post subject: Re: Repetto Pointe Shoes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 6:26 am 

2Dance4 - first let me welcome you to the board - it's great have you join us.<P>Thank you for telling us about Repetto Pointe Shoes. Are they made in Italy? I like a medium shank, so I can roll up and down, as you said, but also it gives me adequate support.<P>I see you are asking if a soft shank is time to throw the shoes away. That is possible. It depends on your foot and your level of technique. The person who can best judge this is your teacher. So, I suggest that you talk to your teacher who can see your feet and how you work in your shoes.<P>Once again, welcome to the board.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2001 8:59 am 

I like repetto as a brand = I have never used their pointe shoes, but i have some of their clothing and I like it a lot.<P>I think they are a French make although I am not 100% sure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 8:22 am 

I have used Repetto Pointe Shoes for the past year and a half. I am an adult student. I took ballet & pointe classes as a teenager and then quit during the college years. I started pointe again about a year and a half ago and started ballet again about 4 years ago. I like Repettos because the box is wider and shorter than some other brands. I have a wide foot so they are more comfortable for me. I use 217 also (style M). I tried style E and I felt like I was too far forward over(beyond) the box. <P>I do have a couple of obeservations from my experiences with the shoes though. <P>1. In terms of the life of the shoe, I don't find that the box gets soft like other shoes. However, because the box is wider, it seems to expand over time. Eventually you can feel the floor through the shoe which makes it very painful to dance in. However, I seem to be able to combat this by switching the feet I put the shoes on and I am able to wear the shoes for a while longer.<P>2. I must have a different shank than the ones mentioned in this thread. I have had a problem showing a pointed foot with some arch in tendus and in the lifted leg of an arabesque in pointe shoes. I can't get the shoe to bend. I atribute this to lack of foot flexibility and I tried to split the soles of the shoe and there is a "thick" piece of plastic that runs through the shoe. I showed it to my teacher and she said she had never seen anything like this before and suggested that I not buy these shoes again (not with this shank). I have developed my ankle strength and so I have been able to dance in these shoes pretty well and I find them comfortable ( for pointe shoes). However, I think I am often not fully over the box and I wonder if this is partly due to the shank. I am curious to know if this shoe - style M has a softer shank. This is something I plan on looking into when it comes time to replace my current shoes but I would be curious to know about other people's experiences with these shoes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2001 10:00 am 

First CP - let me offer you a warm welcome to the board - it's great to have you join us.<P>I personally have no knowledge of these shoes. However, you mentioned that you have trouble getting these shoes to bend to show a pointe in tendu. Have you considered altering the placement of where you sew your ribbons onto the shoes? That varies from dancer to dancer and can make a difference in how the shoe feels, fits, and "works".<P>Worth thinking about.......<P>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]