public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: dealing with pain
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:35 pm 

Hi,<P>I would like to know how everybody deals with pain during pointe. I can handle 15 min. of class but after that it just goes downhill. I used to dance with padding made of lambswool but one day I discovered I could feel the floor better, with nothing in my pointes & just tape on my feet. It definitely did improve my dancing. My teacher told me I just had to try to forget the pain. But this is "mission impossible". <BR>Please, I need help. <P>Thanks a lot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: dealing with pain
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 4:03 pm 

Sous Sus - I can only tell you what I did - and that was lamb's wool. It never hurt my dancing. For heavy rehearsal days I used an ace bandage.<P>Every dancer has to find out for herself what works. My personal feeling is that pain is not something that one should "forget" about - or overlook. It means that something is getting hurt. I am a firm believer that you don't need to be in pain to dance.<P>Perhaps before you used too much lamb's wool. That is possible. Some dancers use tissue paper - but I have never tried that. Lamb's wool just worked for me. <P>If it is "mission impossible" - then it is time to rethink the mission - or make it possible. Protect your feet from pain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:47 am 

Sous sus, do you have pain in the same spots all the time, or does it move around? There are lots of products out there to protect particularly vulnerable areas, if that applies to you.<P>Also, is there the possibility that a different fit in a pointe shoe might make a difference?<P>I agree with Basheva that pain is not a necessary component of pointe work or ballet in general, and I'd be looking for a solution to that one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:03 am 

I think the Ultra Lite Pointe Comfort shoe pads are wonderful. They make pointe work much more joyful.They are like a thin layer of thick jello padding the toes. I used to use lambswool, but this is so much better! I get them through the catalogs. They come in thin, or a bit thicker which is the blue pad.Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but I think these are the best invention.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:19 am 
This is good advice for me as well-for the future!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 1:54 pm 

Those gel pads are good. I must say that there is a range of "pain" in the toes. Some women feel barely any pain, under normal cirucmstances, ie. classroom work, no other injuries. I always felt a lot of pain. I found out that the type of feet I have (second toe longer than big toe) is not ideal for pointe, as the second toe gets "smashed" with the body weight bearing down on it. It doesn't mean it's impossible, just that there will be more discomfort involved. Each indiviudal needs to decide what they can live with, (muscle soreness DOES happen, even to dancers who take good care) in terms of pain, and what is just "not worth it". <p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited August 09, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:08 pm 

thanks for replying everybody,<P>I'm going to try ALL the suggestions!!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:37 pm 

A couple of other suggestions which are along the lines of tissue but don't shred. Handi-wipes (cut them in quarters) and old nylon stockings. I used lambs wool for years and then went on to paper towels (encountering the shredding problem-very painful and a sure blister producer)but found Handi-wipes far superior. The nylon stockings are very comfortable but don't have the sweat absorbancy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:53 pm 

For sweat absorbency - that Ophelia mentions - has anyone ever tried a swatch of cotton flannel?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:25 pm 

I have used old sweat socks with the cut so they "fit" over my toes like the sock would--but just using that toe part of the sock. It doesn't really make sense in writing! Image Gaynor Minden used to put out a pack of inserts you could put in your shoe where you needed support or padding; my second toe is also very slightly longer and you can "build up" the box inside to accomodate the difference with this kit. I have really found that the right shoe makes all the difference in pain management--take some time to really be sized and try on every pair of shoes in the store!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 6:12 pm 

That's so important Jan, I am glad you brought it up again. Always, always try on the shoes before buying them. Have them fitted by someone who has experience. <P>And, like Jan says, try on every pair of your size and style in the store. Every pair is very individual. Think width as well as length. Consider the shank strength and the vamp shape and length. <P>And remember your feet can change. And, it does make a different what "time of the month" you are trying on those shoes. Feet swell. If you have been walking around a lot, your feet will be a bit larger. If it is hot out, feet will be larger. And, if you have been walking around barefoot, your foot will change.<P><BR>So many things to consider. <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 2:14 am 

Where I live-Cyprus- there are no toe pads or anything and most of the girls buy them from other countries. So, I only use plasters and I honestly don't feel a thing. Or maybe I don't pay attention to the pain...I don't know. But all I know is that when I first started pointe it hurt very much but now it's better. My teacher says that I 'm lucky cause it depends on your foot. My friend, for example, who is in the same class as I am, has blood on her toes every single time we do pointe and she uses toe pads.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:59 am 

Sous sus,<BR>As others have said, please keep trying different combinations of shoes and padding. I used to have constant pain on my big toes, now rarely have any pain at all, since I switched shoes and use Pointe Comfort clear pads. Pointe does not have to be excruciating, and you can progress much better when you can focus on technique and not pain. Don't give up!<BR>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 4:32 pm 

We do lots of eleves, etc. for a lot of the class, so it kind of dulls our foot nerves. Personally, I focused on something that I knew wouldn't be where I wanted it to be that day- like holding my turnout with my muscles further than I had the last class (which ain't easy!), and then I try to get a perfectly pleasant look, and hold everything in perfect place. It takes the focus off, and it also helps to laugh at yourself (only in your head). With all this extra concentrating, my feet have gotten so used to the pain, so when it hurts more, I go- "THat feels so great! it's like a massage!" I know it's twisted- but it works as my feet get calloused.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 3:47 pm 

I agree with Trina that pointe work may be more painful for some people because of their foot construction. My second toe is longer than my first, I have hereditary bunions on my big toes and my feet are very wide near the base of my toes and narrow at my heel. This makes a good fit very hard to find. So, I always find pointe to be painful. Some padding and shoes are better than others but the pain is always there.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next