public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Adult ballet classes in Singapore
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:46 am 

I am a 26 year old female who is starting ballet from scratch. I'm looking for a good studio in Singapore that will be willing to train an adult for the RAD exams and eventually for pointe(hopefully if I'm not decrepit by then). I have called up many studios but most do not seem to take adults seriously. Many would just tell me they only have classes for children.

Any recommendations from people in Singapore?

Post subject: Re: Adult ballet classes in Singapore
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:24 am 

Hi U/D and welcome to CriticalDance. I'm not from Singapore, but I wonder whether the RAD offices in Australia or New Zealand may be able to help you with a full list of schools in your locale, offering RAD examinations:

Australia
www.rad.org.au

New Zealand
www.rad.org.nz

I also know a number of people who are impressed with the ISTD and its Cecchetti style syllabuses, so perhaps they are also a possibilility:

http://www.istd.org/dancestyles/cecchetti/intro.html

In the UK, my impression is that it is certainly known for adults to join youth classes and it can work well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Adult ballet classes in Singapore
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:13 pm 

Thanks for your reply. For unknown reasons,all ballet schools in Singapore that send students for exams rely solely on the RAD syllabus and no other style is taught. Moreover exam classes are geared towards children. I'm willing to train with kids if there is no other choice but it is not ideal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:54 am 

hello, hope this reply isn't too late.
the SDT has adult ballet classes where they prepare adults for elementary, intermediate and advanced RAD exams. one of my friends goes to that class and says it's not bad; they're very focused on technique and this woman in her class can do double pirouettes after about 2 years in the class. it's once a week and taught by an SDT dancer, Fu Liang, i think. you could try calling the SDT to check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:14 pm 

hi
you can try jenny chien's class on monday at bedok community centre. she teaches at elias community centre as well ( i am not too sure of the name, but its in pasir ris).
or you can try singapore ballet academy. or perhaps attitude performing arts at bukit timah shopping centre.
Hope these helps.

*pixie*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:13 am 

Hello all! Actually Cheng Hsienfa teaches pretty fantastic adult ballet too. (He's formerly from Singapore Dance Theatre). His classes are very dance-ey , pretty but at the same time gives a very good grounding on the basics.

I find myself sweating puddles at the end of every class but very satisfied. The most important thing though is, that he treats every one of his adult students as "professional students" and encourages us to reach for the skies, even though some of us are no spring chickens. Oh, and did I mention that he always demonstrates FULL-OUT, (He hardly ever marks.) so we learn exactly how we should look. I highly recommend his classes.

Incidentally, the new semester is starting soon at Singapore Chinese Girls' School on the week of 20th March. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays all at 7.30pm. They're all open classes with Wednesdays the easiest. (A wide range of capabilities in the class so not to worry.) Do call SCGS to enquire!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:27 am 

Hello, grandejete, and welcome to CD! Thanks for the information and update on classes in Singapore.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:14 pm 

I've found that the Attitude ballet school at Bukit Timah Plaza is pretty welcoming of older students. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]