public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Do any of you know...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:10 am 

of a ballet school that accepts students in highschool? Preferably one in or near the midwest? One of my friends is going to be a professional ballerina and wants to go to one of those big ballet schools for highschool so as to get a "jump start on her career." Image And while I don't want her to miss going to highschool with us, but I do want her to do what she loves, which is ballet. And she's put up with my singing/ drama queen moments, so i thought I should help her.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Do any of you know...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 5:42 am 

This is a very good topis, but one that's more approriate to the "Students' Questions" forum, so I'm moving it there and closing it here.<p>[This message has been edited by salzberg (edited August 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 5:55 am 

AthenaCait - that is very kind of you to want to help your friend. I don't live in the Midwest so I have no personal knowledge of such a school. <P>Perhaps someone else will be able to help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 8:24 am 

Thanks Basheva, but like I said, she puts up with my bursting into song at unpredictable moments, wearing OUTRAGEOUS clothes and talking to starngers.(as in just walking up to some 5th grader at school and starting a conversation. Bugs the heck out of her Image)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 5:36 pm 

hi athena. St. Louis ballet is in the midwest, here in Missouri. they are starting a professional school. she might want to call them. i also think chicago has a pro school. what state is your friend in?<BR>kim <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 7:07 pm 

I have found a wealth of info. exploring search engines on the internet. Google is a good one,www.google.com .<P>Just enter the keywords that you desire, and start clicking!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 7:58 pm 

Interlocken Arts Academy in Interlocken, Michigan is a well-established high school, with a focus on dance and music. They are also unusual in that their academics are quite strong. You can find a listing for them in DanceMagazine Directory (back of the magazine)listed under "Michigan". There is contact info there--address, phone numbers, etc.<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited August 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 5:26 am 

WARNING: opinions ahead...<P>I am personally leery of Interlochen - I went there as a guest of my piano teacher (who is head of piano studies there) for a week to check things out and I was not impressed with the ballet program. I sat in on more than a few classes and even in the most advanced levels saw things like sickling feet and teacher-advised forced turnout. The attitude and atmosphere of the lower level classes were not as structured and professional as I would have expected. This was about 4 years ago, so things may have changed.<P>However, they are very well-known in both their academics and arts programs, and have produced some excellent people - folk-singer Jewel received her training there.<P>One place I was very impressed with was the Blue Lake Arts camp - not a high school, but an excellent program, and one that is very well known and respected as well.<p>[This message has been edited by Bree (edited August 18, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]