public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: question for teachers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 4:53 am 

I'm just curious but i've noticed in my adult ballet classes we do the same exercises at the barre but rarely do any center work. If we do, its usually just a couple jumps in first position. Where as the class before us (14-16 year olds), they do a lot more center work as well as small dance routines. Does this have to do with skill level? Or would it be because the teacher doesn't take the adult classes as seriously? <P>salima

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: question for teachers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:01 am 

SalimaC - I am going to move this into Students' Questions - hope that's ok.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:13 am 

Here we are........<P>First of all ballet class should always consist of both barre and center - unless somehow, for some reason by mutual consent between the adults and the teacher. But that should be a circumstance that is clearly understood, agreed to by both students and teacher for some special reason.<P>Dance takes place in the center - the barre is a preparation for that. First I would ask the teacher, quietly, about this. <P>Without assuming that this is what is happening in your case, it is very true that many teachers don't take adults very seriously. Having started as an adult myself, I found that to be the big battle. I could control how much work I put into it - but finding teachers as serious as I, was the difficulty. <P> This is less of a difficulty as you progress because then it is very evident that one is a serious student....it is at the beginning that I found it to be a real problem.<P>You may need to shop around....I did a lot of that! There were some adults who told me that they found that if they stayed at a studio for any length of time, they felt the teacher began to ignore them, and so they constantly moved around. This was true mostly of the quieter adults. I didn't have this particular problem - I am not very quiet. ha ha <P>So, the short answer to your question is - yes - ballet class should always include a full center. About 40 minutes of barre and the rest center.<P>Have you read this thread?<P><BR><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000156.html><B>ADULT STUDENTS - JOYS AND CHALLENGES</B></A><P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 8:08 am 

I have heard of some teachers who do keep adult beginners at the barre for most of the class (especially if class is only one hour long -- how long is your class, Salima?). Their theory is that barre is where you begin to build strength, so you need to concentrate on that more at the beginning.<P>Personally, I never liked that approach and never used it with beginners. You may wish to ask your teacher how long your class will stay as it is now. Perhaps there is a plan to ease you into more centre work. If not, and you are not comfortable with the structure of your current class, then perhaps it is time to look for another one.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:35 pm 

Nancy.....my class is an hour long. We do a good amount of strength building at the barre, which i feel is a wonderful way to slowly become familar with the exercises. But its only the last 2-4 minutes he makes us do center jumps in first position and thats it. Now i am not one to assume things too quickly, but i get the general feeling from the adults in the class(majority are older women, mothers) they are completely fine with the class as is, and they most probably have no desire to be en pointe rather use the class as a means of exercise for the day. <BR>I don't feel that i have attained enough skill to be put into another class(basically i'm afraid he'll laugh at me if i ask) but i wonder if somehow i could talk to him to make him aware that i am a bit more serious than the others, just so he could maybe correct me more, and tell me after summer if i have built enough strength to be put into another class.<P>I really don't know what to do but i also know it may be too soon to ask.<P>salima

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:42 pm 

Salima--<P>I don't think you should ever be embarassed to ask your teacher about your skill level and which class is most appropriate for you. I'm sure teachers are used to questions of this nature, and as an instructor, they should give you an honest answer. Besides, what's the worst he/she could say?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:10 pm 

I agree with Vanessa.....<P>If your class is an hour long you should still be doing about 20 minutes of center work. But, in this class as you say the others probably like it this way.<P>I would ask him if you could take both classes, and then you could work into the upper level class. That is often how it is done. I know I did that several times.<P>Don't be afraid to ask. Tell him you are serious about your study. A good teacher won't be able to resist that.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 11:27 pm 

Basheva, Nancy, Vanesssa, thank u all for the advice. I think I will have a talk with my teacher. Maybe then i'll at least have a better idea of how he intends on running the class and if taking another one is an option.<P>thanx again....salima

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 9:20 am 

Good luck, Salima. Let us know how it goes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 1:10 pm 

I teach and Adult beginners class Salima and i try to balance the 3 portions of the class to equal times. Firstly I feel that too long in one section becomes boring for them. Also I believe in the class giving an all round workout - the barre is great for strengthening etc but I really feel the class has to move also. Finally my adults enjoy the centre work I don't think they would like not doing any.<P>that is just my opinion though.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]