public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Feet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:03 pm 

What has been the effect of dancing on your feet - both pre and after pointe? I've read a few things about dancer's ugly feet due to dancing; is that only after they have gone en pointe? How long does it take for dancing en pointe to effect your feet? What pace should a dancer who just began pointe work take (how long every day, at the barre or in the center, ect.)? What is the proper name for a pointe shoe - pointe shoe, toe shoe, or something else? What sort of exercises should you start with when you're still a beginner?

Sorry for the barrage of questions; feel free to answer as few or as many as you like. Unfortunately, I am not a dancer - I took a few ballet lessons in fifth grade, but they proved to be expensive and I had to stop. However, I am currently writing a story that involves a character who does ballet. I'm trying to be as accurate as possible, so I have done quite a lot of research, but some of the stuff I'm looking for is really hard to find. I hope it's okay for me to ask questions here, even though I'm not a dancer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

<small>[ 25 March 2005, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: Jakeni ]</small>

Post subject: Re: Feet
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:55 pm 

Quote:
I've read a few things about dancer's ugly feet due to dancing; is that only after they have gone en pointe?
Pointe shoes, combined with unlucky heritage, can lead to bunions (look it up for a description). So can any kind of shoe, for that matter. I have very wide feet, and mild bunions from the shoes I wore as a child. My father has more pronounced bunions, his shoes didn't fit as well.

Pointe shoes also lead to callouses. Those are actually beneficial for dance, but look ugly. Bunions are permanent, callouses will (eventually) go away if you stop dancing.

Most immediately, wearing pointe shoes squeezes the blood out of your feet somewhat. Feet look a bit squeezed and wrinkled when they are removed.

Quote:
What pace should a dancer who just began pointe work take (how long every day, at the barre or in the center, ect.)?
Why not go to a ballet academy and see what their program is for students en pointe? Or look it up in the Vaganova or RAD syllabus.

Quote:
What is the proper name for a pointe shoe
pointe shoe

Quote:
What sort of exercises should you start with when you're still a beginner?
Again, I would get a copy of the Vaganova or RAD syllabus, Both have all the exercises described.

http://www.rad.org.uk/index2.htm

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]