public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: ballet school shedules
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:12 pm 

Just curious to know are there any of you out there who go to professional ballet academies like these ones:National Ballet School Of Canada
Royal Winnipeg Ballet School
School Of American Ballet
San Fransisco Ballet School
Boston Ballet School
Pacific Northwest Ballet School
Other Schools?

If so, what are your year round shedules like,what level are you in and how old are you?

Post subject: Re: ballet school shedules
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:28 am 

Don't know if you're interested, but here is an extract from the Paris Opera Ballet school website:

Quote:
Academic studies are regarded as an integral part of the students' education. No student, boarder or not, may therefore be exempted from the courses provided by the Education Nationale on the School's premises in the morning from 8.00 to 12.00 am. The afternoon is devoted to dance. Non-French speaking students study French at an appropriate level.

Once admitted, teaching is graded over six years, with pupils divided into six divisions for girls and six divisions for boys. There is a gradual increase in the difficulty of the class : the beginners of the sixth division concentrate above all on "placing", in the fifth division the girls begin pointe work at the barre, and after six years of training the pupils of the first division are expected to be able to perform a variation from the professional repertoire.
At the end of each year, the pupils take an examination to decide whether they move up to the next class, remain in the same class, or leave the School. The pupils of the advanced class (1st division) participate in an internal competition, after which they are admitted to the Paris Opera's Corps de Ballet, according to the number of places available. Pupils who have not been admitted leave the School having obtained their final dance certificate, which usually permits them to be quickly engaged by other companies.
Dance subjects
Classical Ballet - Pas de Deux - Variations - Contemporary
Repertoire- Jazz - Character - Mime and Folk dances
Allied subjects
Dance History - Musical Expression and Singing - Solfège Corporel
Gymnasium training (male students) - Anatomy - Dramatic art - Law.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:43 am 

Many years ago I went to RWB school. It was the best training that I could have wished for. I was 17 when I joined the school. David Moroni, Richard Rutherford and Arnold Spohr were fantastic teachers.

I have sent students of mine to attend as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:14 pm 

I swear Lucy I like you more and more. You sent your students there too. That is so great! Do you know how possesive teachers and owners of studios can be of "their" students. It is good to hear that someone is in it for a progression of the art not a easy buck.
Thanks for being cool yet again!
Tony

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:30 pm 

Thanks AC, like they say " It takes a village" to make a dancer.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]