CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dance terms
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 pm 

Can anybody enlighten me on the various dance terms that u guys use in this forum, eg pointe, penchee, turnout blah...blah...?
Thanks, my background was gymnastics and martial arts so i don't use these terms.

Post subject: Re: Dance terms
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:03 pm 

So many dance terms are used, I'm not going to define all of them. But here are the ones you mentioend:

* pointe --- has to do with the technique of dancing on the very tips of one's toes, as required for women in professional ballet. Various uses of the word:
-) Pointe shoes --- special shoes with a hardened "box" around the toes that provides support enabling one to stand and dance on toes.
-) Dancing en pointe --- dancing on tips of toes
-) Pointe work --- the types of moves that are special to dancing en pointe, or that are used mostly en pointe. OR: A section of a dance that features dancing en pointe.

* penchee --- literally, "to lean over". This is a move in which you stand on one leg, and lean over. Your other leg goes up and your back goes down. In the most extreme form, the working leg sticks directly up toward the ceiling; this is called "six o'clock penchee".

* turnout --- any position in which the knees and toes face sideways, rather than directly front. Turnout was first developed in European sword fighting technique, and was found to increase the body's stability for that sport. It's used in dance for the same reason --- stability.

* blah...blah... --- usually used by dancers when they feel their teacher has talked for too long.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:35 am 

Hermanchauw - there are so many terms that we will use here without thinking, but if their is anything you don't understand then please just ask.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:37 pm 

If you go to the link below...it will show you the ABT dictionary. They have videos that show you the moves that go with the terms...it can be very helpful :-)
http://www.abt.org/library/dictionary/index.html

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]