public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Body positions
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 7:21 pm 

I'm trying to make my 8 body positions look beautiful. When you do them, is your chets out like in arabesque? Is there anyway to clarifiy the impression that you are supposed to give with the focus of your head? I hear my lines are good, and I work to keep good energy in my head and body; but I guess i'm an extreme perfectionist-= because i look at my arms and body go "ewwww!" Image I look at some people whose arms and body just seem to melt into the positions, like they are swimming! But can someone give me dvice on making them just look more beautiful?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Body positions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:18 am 

Bebounce, I used to (and sometimes still do) practice the 8 body positions all the time. I found them a wonderful challenge. <P>Some of the things I did was to make them continuous, one position melting/forming into the next, with no real break in between. Each position only held long enough to register and then move on. I think they come to life if you really use your eyes. Really look, really see - don't disappear behind your eyelids. Look out over your extended arm - into infinity - but SEE infinity.<P>Also, try practicing them with just your arms. It's the arms that really make them beautiful. Don't think of it as an exercise but as a dance.<P>As well as in tendue, you can also do them with developpé, grand battement, degagé, and that will give each of those movements a different impetus. Sharper for the degagé and grand battement, softer for the developpé. <P>Hope this helps. It takes a great deal of time and patience. But it is well worth it. It will make all you other dancing more informed.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 01, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 9:39 am 

what are the eight positions, i always have learned nine ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 10:24 am 

The ones I learned and always taught were the 8 Cecchetti positions of the body:<P>croisé devant<BR>a la quatriéme devant<BR>écarté<BR>effacé<BR>a la seconde<BR>épaulé<BR>a la quatriéme derriére<BR>croisé derriére<P>In the Russian and French schools there are as many as 11 basic positions of the body.<P>In Gail Grant's "Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet" you can read about it on page 84, and see the pictures in the back of the book.<P>What positions did you learn Ballet Girl?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 6:49 pm 

In another thread Bebounce asked this question:<P>Bebounce: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Can someone give the russian positions in order of execution? Like if you where going around the points in the room? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 6:54 pm 

Here we are!! <P>The Russian body positions according to Gail Grant's "Technical Manual and Dictionary of the Classical Ballet"....I studied the Cecchetti method body positions and so I am giving you this from the book:<P>croisé devant<BR>croisé derriére<BR>a la quatrieme devant<BR>a la quatrieme derriere<BR>a la seconde<BR>ecarté devant<BR>ecarté derriere<BR>effacé devant<BR>effacé derriere<BR>epaulé devant<BR>epaulé derriere

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]