public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Legs
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 6:13 pm 

The discussion above is frightening me. When I was in ballet at my old studio (I was in my early teens) we did the "old" hurdler's stretch all the time.<P>We also were told to do the opposite of the frog stretch - where you put the soles of your feet together and try to touch your nose to your feet. We would turn our feet so they pointed outward in opposite directions and so the tops of our thighs touched, then touch our noses to our knees!<P>What kind of damage, do you think, we incurred?<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 6:44 pm 

Magdalena - I am in San Diego, California. You can read my bio by clicking on the icon above my post - or you can look at the top of the board and click on WhoWeAre.<P>Bree....I shudder to think of your doing that. But, my friend, don't worry about it - it's in the past, you can't change it. Just be sure you don't do it, and never teach it. <P>We all did things in the past that are now known to be dangerous....you can't change the past, but you can do better in the future.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 6:46 pm 

Odd...I'm in Madison, Wisconsin. Slight time difference:-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 6:58 pm 

<B>Magdelena!</B><P>You're in Madison? I'm in S.P. - are you a student in Madison? Do you shop at the Gazelle on State Street? Email me at greenbean51@hotmail.com!<P>And Basheva - thank you for your kind words as always. I hope things are well with you Image<P><BR>[This message has been edited by Bree (edited May 30, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by Bree (edited May 31, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 7:01 pm 

Bree! No, I don't shop at Gazelle, and yes, I am student. Email me! mrcerrina@mailbag.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 7:13 pm 

Ladies....please be careful...this is the internet, anyone can read your words and e-mail addresses. You NEVER really know to whom you are speaking. So, please communicate with care.<P>And, yes, Bree, I am well, thank you. And I hope things are well with you, too.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 30, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 1:44 am 

Going back to the dreaded and very dangerous hurdler stretch; <BR>What is the difference between the hurdler's stretch and the "half"splits?<BR>As I have read in the "splits" post, there are two ways of doing them; one sounds like the hurdler stretch, with the back leg bent, as opposed to sliding down into the splits and supporting yourself with your hands. <P>Someone mentioned that it can do a lot of damage to the knee and the groin; does the damage vary on the angle /degree of your bent leg?<BR>I have been practising this for some months, so please provide me with some information- thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2001 6:15 am 

I see a difference....if one goes down into a front/back split by keeping the front leg straight, but the back leg in a kneeling position, with hands on either side for support. That is a position that "moves" one keeps moving from it into the split.<P>Whereas the hurdler position is static - one attains it and stays there for some time.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2