public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: flexiability and strength!???+weight!
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 4:31 am 

hey everyone!<BR>my teacher always says that how ever high you can kick your leg is how high you should be able to hold your leg but i can only hold about half of that height!!!! and she says my legs are not strong enough! but what do i do so i can have that strength? time? stretch?pratice? or some exercises?also i have put on some weight on again, what am i going to do i wasn't even eating that much because i had this bacteria in my stomach which stops me from eating so i don't know how on earth i put on that weight so any diet or suggestions?<BR>please help! <BR>thanx!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: flexiability and strength!???+weight!
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 4:40 am 

I can give you only one advice about holding your extension: read the thread "Stretch and Strength- some basic concepts (sp?)", Basheva could you please post the link? Please? And about your weight, I don't think I am supposed to give you any advise:<P>-------------<BR>The Studio<BR>Dance technique and related matters. Teaching and learning, classes, auditions, etc. Please do not ask for or offer medical advice. If you have a medical question concerning diet, weight, injuries, medications, or other medical matters, please consult your doctor. <BR>-------------<P>So, I'm very sorry, but this are the rules, ok? You could ask your mother (I do that very often, she gives me wonderful advise), teacher or docter about it.<p>[This message has been edited by Anastasia (edited May 26, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 4:48 am 

Hello Cassie.....<P>Let's talk about your questions regarding being able to hold your leg at the same height that you can kick your leg.<P>In my experience - both with myself and as a teacher, almost always a person can kick higher than they can hold the leg. This is not true for some people, but it seems to be true for most people.<P>There are several ways to build up the strength in your legs. One is to always retard the lowering of the leg after the kick for your grand battement. Go up with a strong kick, and then lower slowly.<P>You can do a heel stretch, where you hold your heel in your hand and stretch the leg up to the front and side, and then slowly let go of your leg and try to keep it at the same height.<P>You can do a developpé, to front, side or back while the standing leg is in fondu and then straighten your standing leg and try to hold the extended leg at the same height as it was when you were in the fondu. Most of us have a higher developpé in fondu - so the idea is to do that first, and then straighten the standing leg.<P>You can, when really warmed up, place your leg on the barre, front and side, lift from the barre for a few seconds, and then lower. Lift and lower, several times. Do this religiously after every class and I think you will see improvement.<P>But it all takes time.<P>As for your other questions about diet and weight. It is the policy of this board not to address those particular questions because we don't want you to get any wrong or harmful information.<P>So, please consult your doctor, or a professional nutritionist.<P>Anyone else who wants to help Cassie with suggestions about her strength and flexibility is fine, but let's stay away from the diet and weight questions. Those are really medical issues.<P>Have you read this thread Cassie?<P>Here it it in case you haven't:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000291.html><B>STRETCH AND STRENGTH</B></A><P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 26, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 4:49 am 

Thank you Anastasia - your answer is perfect.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 6:58 am 

Cassie - the advice you have been given is very good - do try those exercises Basheva mentioned and look at that thread it has some very good info in it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 8:05 am 

Cassie, when I read that your teacher said your holding height is the same as your kicking height, as a teacher myself, my "teacher interpretation" of that is: you have the flexibility to kick that high, so with time and working at it, eventually you should be able to hold your leg that high in an extension, or almost that high. That's an exciting thought!<P>Do read the links and try some of the suggestions. I incorporated some of Basheva's recommendations into my barre stretches for my students, and I'm beginning to see some positive results (AGAIN, THANK YOU, BASHEVA!).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2001 9:38 am 

You are very welcome, Nancy,....it does an old teacher's heart good to know she can still help.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 26, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 12:40 pm 

Cassie- Not to give medical advice regarding diet and weight, but there may be a simpler explaination. Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you have been working hard in class lately and really strengthening those muscles, that could account for a slight increase on the scales. Also, you don't say how old you are, could your body be changing and filling out some? Remember, not all weight gain is a bad thing!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 3:14 pm 

That's a great addition Elise - muscle does weigh more than fat - sometimes we forget that.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]