public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just wondering
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 5:24 pm 

Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone here had something called chondromalacia. I have it, it's a problem with knee cartilage. Anyway, since I'm starting dance again soon, I was wondering if anyone who has it could tell me if dancing caused their knees to hurt more because of this, or if it will probably make my knees stronger. I don't want advice on how to deal with chondromalacia, I just want to know if anyone can tell me if it makes dancing harder. Thanx for any comments.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Just wondering
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 6:13 pm 

Shelby - I have no experience with this at all. I will have to defer to others.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 5:01 am 

Shelby, I have chondromalacia. It's a term often used to decribe pain in the front of the knee, but it is really a more specific condition. It means that the cartilage around the kneecap becomes worn and frayed, and can wear away. <P>It is often caused by muscle imbalances resulting in improper tracking of the kneecap. If you are young, a growth spurt makes it hard for your muscles to keep up with your bones, and they can go through a weak stage, and the weak muscles have trouble supporting the knee.<BR> If you are tight in the calf muscles, the knee has to work harder absorbing impact from jumping, another example of muscle imbalance.<BR>If you overturn (and I haven't seen a dancer yet who hasn't overturned at some point, either purposefully, or inadvertantly) this stresses the movement of the kneecap.<BR>Any tightness in the quadriceps, or imbalance in these and the hamstrings, particularly in extension, affects the knee. <BR>chondromalacia can encourage arthritis of the area (which I also have) <BR>It is crucial to work to balance the muscle groups and stretch out the tight areas. If I could, I would repeat this ten times. When areas are weak, or tight, we often compromise our technique in order do the pose, position, or movement, often without even realizing it. I would work with someone who is a professional and knowledgable in dance to help improve the way the leg works. A very good pilates teacher, or p.t. who knows dance. It will make a difference.<P>Chondromalacia is sometimes treated with arthroscopic surgery to "clean out" the messed up cartilage.<p>[This message has been edited by Maggie (edited July 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 5:06 am 

As a ballet teacher I have often noticed that teenage girls have knee problems after a growth spurt. And, I too, was told that it was because the muscles have not as yet accommodated to the growth spurt.<P>I wonder if boys have this problem too, or does the naturally heavier musculature of the male keep this from happening?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 5:23 am 

They do have this trouble, too. The angulation of the female leg and hip makes her more predisposed to some of the muscle imbalances regarding the knee, though males are not immune.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 7:25 am 

Shelby,<BR>Since you have been obviously diagnosed, I would strongly suggest you speak with your physician or physical therapist in regard to how dancing can affect this condition. In addition I would suggest you perhaps have a "team" meeting with your dance teachers, parents, physician and physical therapist about your concerns, especially if you are considering a pro-dance career. <BR>best wishes,<BR>Jan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:04 am 

Shelby,<P>I also have chondromalicia patella. Im not sure if this is the same as you but mine was caused by the kneecap not tracking properly in its groove. The best thing to do would be to go to a physiotherapist who can give exercises to help. I have been told that it is quite easy to overcome (by the physio - but I dont know if its true or not). Something that really helps me is to tape the kneecap so that it tracks properly - this works wonders.<P>In my exeperience I've found that dancing really helps (although I dont do pointe work - yet!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:33 am 

Thank you for your replys. I had planned on talking to my doctor, but I thought I might help prepare myself for what he might say. Also, it's nice to here what people with it have to say about it. My doctor won't be able to tell me his experiences with it like you all have. Bagpussmiaow, I was also told that it is easy to overcome. My doctor told me that if I did the exercises he gave me, I could overcome it within a year and a half. It's been nearly a year...and I have seen that my knees don't give me nearly as much problems as they did before. I'll try to update you soon on what my doctor says. Thank you again.<p>[This message has been edited by Shelby (edited July 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]