public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: High Arches
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 10:13 am 

Can anyone give me a description of high arches? I think I have them, the profile of the bottom of by foot looks like and "S". Also, when I'm dancing and am on the balls of my feet I sometimes get a sharp pain in the arch of my foot. It is only when I apply weight or force to it but it feels as though a muscle (or something) is going to snap in my foot. Does anyone know what this is, and do you know anyways to prevent it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: High Arches
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 3:57 pm 

If you are experiencing pain in your foot - you surely should have your teacher check it out to see if you are placing your weight correctly. And, then you should have it checked out by a physician. <P>There are some excellent pictures of the different structures of the foot on page 70 in Gretchen Ward Warren's book "Classical Ballet Technique".<P>Also in Celia Sparger's "Anatomy and Ballet". <P>If the profile of your foot on demi-pointe is an "S" - then it seems you have a highly arched foot - but it is impossible to say without seeing it. So I recommend you start by talking to your teacher and getting her help and insights.<P>And, certainly take care of whatever is causing you pain.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 4:12 pm 

I too have a high arch. That pain you describe sounds like the onset of plantar fascitis -- essencially a pulled muscle in the bottom of the foot. Only this one can be nasty. If left untreated, it will only get worse.<P>Recommended treatment is RICE -- rest, ice, compression and elevation for the first 48 hours. After 48 hours heat is used to relax the muscle. But do this under doctors supervision. I suggest you see a podiatrist used to treating athletes and dancers soon. The best treatment for this is a corrective pair of othotics for your street shoes. The plantar is aggravated because you are not distributing your weight correctly due to the high arch. The orthotics will help correct this for you. <P>You might also want to look for a book called "The Dancer's Foot Book" by Dr. Terry Spilken. It covers plantar fascitis and sesamoiditis (a realated condition)in detail.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 11:15 pm 

2 Left feet offeres good advice but you MUST go to your Doctor and speak to your teacher.<P>Take care

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]