public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Auditions?!?!
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 6:21 pm 

I have an audition this saturday for the upper level company at my studio. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips to really shine--i really want to impress and show off what I learned. Thanks a billion!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Auditions?!?!
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 6:29 pm 

Well, for a billion - I will give you a link that might help - read it and then let us know if you have any more questions and need more information:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000232.html><B>SUCCESSFUL AUDITION TECHNIQUE </B></A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 6:38 pm 

Wow!! Thank you sooo much! Another question but not really realated. When you are in a portebra(sp) forward does your hand make a sweeping motion or does it just go down and rest?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 11:19 pm 

I have just read that article and they are very good pointers - a lot of them you would think were common sense, but it never does any harm to emphasise that. I run a Summer Youth theatre and we encourage them to audition for the company in a professional manner. The amount that come without the things they have been asked to bring or are not dressed appropriately, and it does make a difference on the panels perception of how serious they are about the audition. If they are not taking that seriously then will they take the show/program seriously?<p>[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited May 16, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 4:56 am 

Born2Dance - I would add just a couple of things to the audition tips.<P>I always warmed up at home - just in case there wasn't room for it at the studio. Also, come in sweat clothes to keep warm, in case you have to wait around awhile.<P>And, I always brought an apple. This would keep my energy up (again in case you have to wait awhile), it's easy on your stomach yet fills you up without being heavy, neat to eat, and quickly disposed of.<P>As for the arm question. I assume when you mean port de bras forward you mean when you bend down to the front and touch your toes without bending your knees? As I was taught it and as I taught to my students - that movement starts while the arm is still in second position.<P>It lifts up on the "and" count, like a breath (and you should be inhaling at that point) is left behind for a teeny bit, as you begin the bend forward, sweeps in and down, keeps moving - and then leads you up - but never gets behind your head.<P>Does that make sense? In other words the arm never stops moving - it does not "rest".<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2001 6:55 pm 

A thought on the port de bra hand-<BR>my impression was that you were asking about the sweeping of the hand from the wrist area(I may be wrong)as you bring the arms down...well I wouldn't exactly call it sweeping. Your wrist should not be totally stiff, but you don't want to over-exaggerate a-la-Anna Pavlova in the Dying Swan, not that that isn't beautiful, but is not really apprropriate classroom technique. I wouldn't make it too flowerey. It's hard to explain in writing. Ah well, hope that's slightly relevant and understandable...

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]