public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: I need your opinion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:16 am 

Hi!

I used to post a lot in this forum but then i kind of forgot about it.

I have been taking ballet classes since i was 5, but never very seriously. I've always loved dancing for my pleasure. I have passed the RAD intermediate and Grade 8 award 2 years ago. Last year I twisted my ankle really badly and as a result I didn't really do any serious training all year, and no pointe work at all. So, my technique is really behind.

Now i'm 18 and I still want to continue dancing. The problem is that here in Cyprus, there aren't any schools that offer free(not syllabus) classes. Here everybody teaches the RAD syllabus. And I don't have the courage to learn the RAD Advanced 1 syllabus to sit the exam. Frankly, i don't care about exams anymore. I'm sick of doing the same old exercises every lesson. I want to try new things everytime.

I need a 'loose' lesson, for my pleasure. And there's no suck thing.

I don't know what to do...stop dancing or continue with the advanced 1 syllabus....

Another thing that bothers me is that in the dance school that i'm going now(since last year) they take things very seriously and all the girls my age are in the Advanced 2 level at least. I don't feel nice being the oldest in the class, and the worst in matters of technique.

your opinion???....

Post subject: Re: I need your opinion
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:18 am 

why don't you try modern dance if classes are available in your area? I guarantee you will ahve more fun than in ballet, and you will not feel like you are doing the "same old excercises" every day...it's an option, anyways. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:42 am 

Shallom, that isn't really the kind of guarantee you can make, is it? What she enjoys will depend on what she likes, just as what you enjoy depends on what you like.

<small>[ 02 September 2004, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: elizavetagerdt ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 3:18 am 

Annie - a good exam class should still include some free stuff even if it is just enchainements as they are part of the exam syllabus too.

I think it would be a shame for you to give up now. Could you not speak to your teacher and say that you do not wish to do exams any more but still wish to take class and see what he/she says. You may have to accept that after a year out you will be behind your peers and may have to start back with a level below to get back up to speed.

It may also be worth taking some other style as well just to add some variation to your dancing. That may help with the rut you find yourself in with the ballet.

But definitely talk to your teacher - and perhaps let them know tactfully that you enjoy some of the free elements of the class and is it possible to do more of that.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]