public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Extension
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2001 8:19 pm 

I know it was a long time ago, but thanx Basheva for that extension advice. THis summer, they got higher than I'd ever thought they would, without me even noticing! And strangely enough, when I hurt myself, they were still there after my rest. I hear a "good" extension is one past your shoulder, so I'm pretty well on track! and I've realixed how to actually straighen my knees all the way in extension. It take so many extra thigh muscles to hold my legs in hyperextension- it is really hard to do for long! Anyway, thankyou! Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Extension
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:43 am 

Hi bebounce. . sorry to post here but I am a bit confused by the shoulder height extension you mentioned. Is this level of extension where your foot (or calf??) is above shoulder level in grand battenment or devloppe for example? And is it to the back, front or sides? <BR>The reason I am curious is because I am in a beginners class (one of my classes) with the younger children, they extend only to waist height maximum. What exactly is classed as 'good' extension?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:45 am 

Or if anyone has a link to a photo . . . that might give me a good idea seeing as my book hasn't arrived yet Image thanks again

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 5:48 am 

A "good" extension - hmmmmm - that incorporates several things. Height might be only one of them. Before height comes the correct alignment of the leg and body. And the movement which gets us to the extension. It's preparation.<P>In a good extension, no matter the height, the leg must be turned out to the degree possible for that dancer - front, side or back. The hip of the extended leg held down as much as possible - although we all realize it will lift somewhat though most ballet teachers probably won't admit it. <P>The knees, both of them, as straight or lengthened as much as possible for that dancer, and the toes fully stretched on the lifted foot. The weight of the body is forward on the standing leg, which should also be turned out to the extent possible for that dancer.<P>But most important, the standing hip must be held, the dancer's torso lengthening out of that hip and that hip held firmly in place over the standing leg. In my opinion, it is that standing hip that is the fulcrum of the entire thing.<P>Here is the definition of fulcrum: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>a thing that plays a central or essential role in an activity, event, or situation<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>Only after all of the above considerations have been met - is height then attempted.<BR>And yes, by today's standards, unfortunately, height is expected. Sometimes to the detriment of the dance. <P>Here is the thread, I believe, to which Bebounce refers:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000407.html><B>Developpés</B></A><P>And, Bebounce, thank you....I am very happy that it worked for you!!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 12:56 pm 

Bag, the way I meant it was the foot past the shoulder. Especially in beginner's classes (that I've taken), they will just developpe to their waists. It's HARD to get it there and keep it properly aligned, so I haven't seen pressure to get it higher until higher level classes, where basic alignment and technique elements are well mastered.<BR> Basheva- it looks kind of weird to me when the turnout isn't almost straight to the side... I guess some things do look a lot better with the full rotation of the hip.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 2:39 pm 

Bebounce - most things look better with the rotation in the hip - turnout. That is one of the reasons that ballet dancers do it. There are other reasons too, but beauty is certainly one of them.<P>Also when dancers do their extension to second on stage it is almost always done while fully facing the audience. That way the audience is not as aware of whether the leg is fully to the side or not. It becomes an optical illusion - it tends to look better than it might be in reality.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:09 pm 

SO is it incorrect, when the extension starts to get past the shoulder, that everything seems to be in one hip? When I see people with REALLY high extension, it looks like they are on one hip like that socket is almost parallel with the floor! (exageration)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 3:23 pm 

Yes, in my opinion, it is wrong for the standing hip to sink in - to accommodate a high extension in the lifted leg. Ideally, the hips should remain unaffected in any extension. <P>We realize, however, that in a high extension to the side - the hip of the extended leg will have to tilt. But the standing hip should be unaffected. It must maintain its alignment over the standing leg/knee/foot.<P>If the right leg is the extended leg...that hip will be forced to tilt after a certain height. But the left hip - the standing hip - cannot be affected.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]