public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: balance Q
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 4:08 pm 

Hi, <BR>it's me again. I have a question about balance. When I do releves on one leg, I can hold my balance , at the barre. In center I can't, I usually go to the side (when I lose balance). Also when I'm on pointe(first position parallel) and I do a little walk (like the jazz vegas walk, but going to the front), I lose balance. I dont know how to transfer my weight from one leg to the other. My teacher keeps telling me I should go over the pointe when I'm putting my leg down. <BR>HELP !!!!!! <BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: balance Q
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 4:52 pm 

When you are on pointe on one leg in the center and you feel yourself falling off to the side - which side is it? Away from your standing leg or toward it?<P>Some things to check - make sure when you relevé up to pointe, you arrive in one piece - not several pieces. Always aim your breast bone out over your standing toe. If you arrive on pointe even the slightest bit back - you will not be on balance. <P>You have to visualize the center of your body - not the side of your body over that relevé pointe. If you were to lower your eyes (not your head) you shouldn't be able to see your foot. <P>Your teacher is right - your weight has to be over your toes. However, when you are doing that walk forward in parallel - don't think of putting your weight on one foot and then the other. Think of your weight as being in between your feet. Usually that walk is done quite swiftly, and you should feel balanced between your feet. Same for bourrée in 5th. <P>Another thing to check when you relevé to a single pointe, is that you don't lean away from the lifted leg. For instance if you are doing a relevé on the right foot with the left foot in retiré, make sure you lean ever so slightly toward the retiré leg. I once read that in something that Nureyev wrote - and it is excellent advice. If you do that you will, indeed, not really be over the lifted foot - but in the center. Where you need to be. <P>If you take a picture of a dancer facing you, in retiré, and draw a line down the center of her body, you will see that the center of her body is over her standing pointe. If you have the Gretchen Ward Warren book "Classical Ballet Technique" you can see it in a picture at the bottom of page 354.<P>Hope this helps.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: balance Q
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2001 2:43 pm 

hi Basheva,<BR>you're sooo right. My mistake was that I leaned too much on my suporting leg side and not enough towards my leg in retire.<P>I have class tomorrow, so I will keep your advice in mind. Many thanks!!!!!!!<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]