public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: recovery time...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:58 pm 

Hi everyone!
I have some questions for you all. I haven't danced since mid-may, and am not taking any summer intensives. I recently had surgery and was unable to excersising besides walking (and even then I couldn't go very far). I have been carrying some extra weight and gained some during my recovery time. Now I have about 30 pounds to lose, and some serious ab re-building to do. Plus I have lost a lot of my stamina. I am now moving to a new town with a friend who is going to school and have joined an awesome gym.

My question for you all is are there any excersises that I can do as a dancer at the gym to get back into shape, any ones that would be specific to dance? And does anyone have any recommendations that may help???? :confused:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: recovery time...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:54 pm 

I;m so sorrey you enjured yourself I don't know what I would do if that happened to me. Anyway I do crunches every morning, and I think in your situation plies would also help. :)

bunheadballerina

Post subject: Re: recovery time...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:10 am 

I would recommend starting with some bodywork classes, like pilates matwork (great for abs) or yoga to get your muscles used to working and stretching again...I would also recommend doing a ballet barre or a stretch and strength class(modifying the exercises as needed) so that your rotators get used to engaging properly. There are so many muscles that we use as dancers that don't get used in everyday life. Start slow and steady - don't rush into anything or you will risk a re-injury and some seriously sore muscles!
To lose the extra pounds you will have to do some cardio work - some low-impact options are biking (excercise bike) and swimming (if your gym has a pool), or the rowing machine. Weight training also aids in fat loss, as it keeps you muscles in fat-burn mode for quite a while after you have stopped your workout. Hope that helps a bit! :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]