public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: pointe shoes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 6:33 am 

I have some new pointe shoes and they just don't seem to feel right. I have a strong arch and strong feet concidering I have not done much pointe work for a few years, and when I danced before I really didn't do a lot, just some in the ends of classes, and very short performance pieces.But it feels like my feet are going over and bending too much at the arch, on the top, and also that I am still not fully on the box although they are now "broken in" at first it was really hard to get onto the box.The shank is very "bendy"now that they are broken in. They are Plie II, and my old pair were Ariels. Neither of which last a long time, but since I don't dance on pointe much that is ok.I like the feel of a pliable shoe. I don't know if it is me, or the shoes.Any ideas? My teacher says they look ok, and I am doing well, but they just don't feel right...I am careful, I certainly don't want to injur myself.My fear is that they will go over too much and break the bones at the top of my foot!?! They were professionally fit, am I just being paranoid?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: pointe shoes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 7:06 am 

Rachel - if I were you I would go with how you feel - if you feel as if you are going over too far - then you probably are. You have done enough pointe to know the difference, it seems to me.<P>Is the vamp the right length for you? Is the vamp the right shape for you? Every pair of pointe shoes is so very individual. When I had a pair that didn't feel right - I always accepted that - and didn't wear them.<P>Do both shoes feel this way or on just one foot? If it is just on one foot you could try and switch shoes and see what happens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: pointe shoes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 6:18 am 

Thanks Basheva, I will try switching feet. I had my daughter try them on, who has younger stronger feet and they looked the same on her, bending a bit outwards at the arch at the vamp.She thinks they are fine,but maybe I do need a longer vamp for my comfort level. Thanks for the advise, it's good to have a place to ask for another opinion, an educated one that is!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]