public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: What's that thing called?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 11:58 am 

In my ballet class, when we did les ronds-de-jambes a terre, we also did these things that are like a grand battement. It goes from a low attitude, then battement, and it ends in back if you are coming from the front, and front if you are coming from the back. It's like rond-de-jambing your leg in that battement. what is it? When the teacher gave it, he would say, "rond de jambe, (and when we were to do it) attitude and BIG!"

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What's that thing called?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 12:51 pm 

We had another thread that mentioned this....<P>We always called this a "fan kick" - it's not an official ballet term, but I am told it is a jazz term, that happens to describe this step.<P>Not one of my favorites, but looks great when someone does it well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 4:15 am 

hmm...it doesn't really sound like a fan kick that I'm familiar with. Perhaps it is a preparation that this teacher has come up with (with the grande rond de jambe en l'air and attitude) for a more advanced movement? Is it an actual grande rond de jambe en l'air TO an attitude derriere TO an arabesque or straight leg position? OR is it a small attitude front with a brush through first position to a grande battement as in a movement en cloche?<P>I think the movement you are referring to may be a grand rond de jambe jete (soviet/Russian syllabus) from first position brush to a low attitude devant; straighten knee and continue to lift leg to high seconde; as leg is lowering bring it behind you to pointe tendu derriere. Does this sound correct?<P>I'm confused--perhaps you could try to re-write the movement again. Basheva--could you direct me to the thread that mentioned this? I must have missed it--or was it on the swiveling of the hip socket type of kick?<P>A jazz fan kick (to me) takes place with the leg swinging across the body to a low 45 degree kick in front--continuing in an arc to travel around in front of your nose gathering height and then lowering/opening to the side in tendu, tombe or another position.<p>[This message has been edited by *Jan* (edited July 26, 2001).]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 6:51 am 

Jan - it is mentioned down this thread - you have to scroll down a bit:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000656.html><B>Name of Ballet Step - Help</B></A><P>Jan said:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I think the movement you are referring to may be a grand rond de jambe jete (soviet/Russian syllabus) from first position brush to a low attitude devant; straighten knee and continue to lift leg to high seconde; as leg is lowering bring it behind you to pointe tendu derriere. Does this sound correct?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is what we used to call a fan kick - probably not accurate - probably doesn't accurately equal a jazz fan kick. But Jacqueline Hepner (Balanchine dancer) from whom I took class for many years at Ballet Society, used to give these and for lack of a better name, we all called it a fan kick.<P>So, whilst not accurate - we all knew what she/we meant - and dreaded the mornings she gave us these. Surviving her classes, in general, was a feat in itself.<P>A grand rond de jambe jeté certainly sounds better - !!<P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited July 26, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 8:46 am 

It's not grand battement en rond, as they are done with a straight leg throughout.<BR>Could be grand battement jeté en rond but I wouldn't put money on it.<P>We used to do these en dehors and en dedans.<BR>Tricky little things, as the high point has to be in second, which isn't easy whichever direction you are going in.<P>The problem is I can't for the life of me remember what we called them. And they do have a name, just that I can't remember it.<P>Having just read with more care jan's message, that name rings a bell, and the movement is exactly as she described it.<p>[This message has been edited by Red Shoes (edited July 26, 2001).]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2001 4:02 pm 

It IS a grande rond-je-jambe jete Image Thanx

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 7:41 am 

From "Name of Ballet Step--help"<P>WOW--what a long and confusing thread--and I only read the first two pages. I would say the first and original question/step would be a grand pas de chat developpe; but as for the rest I really don't have the time right now to search through books to confirm. An interesting thread though! Image

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:12 am 

I think there is a variation of this step:<P>From first position.<P>En dehors would be started with a sharp and direct movement up to a low attitude devant, followed by an equally sharp and strong movement out to second, maintaining the leg position more or less. You arrive with the thigh horizontal to the floor and the lower leg pointing straight down to the floor. The third movement you close straight down to first, ready to repeat.<P>En dedans starts with a strong battements out to second at 90°. The second, also strong, movement has the leg coming in to attitude devant, but with the feeling of keeping the thigh really well turned out, almost as if that part of the leg is trying to stay in second. This also finishes by closing directly to first, ready to repeat.<P>It's all quite strong and staccato.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2001 8:57 am 

I hope my teacher doesn't read this, Red Shoes .....lol<P>What really can add quite a degree of difficulty to any of these variants is to start in fondu devant and as the leg goes to second - relevé - oy vey - and stay on relevé to the back. Or vice versa. That is a real test of placement and stability.<P>The commonest error I have seen (besides incorrect placement of the body) is not moving the barre arm forward progressively as the leg moves to the back and therefore the barre arm ends up "all hung up" too far behind the body. <P>Actually I find so many students misplace that barre arm - leaning on it - not moving it in conjunction with the movement of the body. And of course there is hanging on much too tightly to the barre. Letting go the barre very frequently is a particularly picky place for me.<P>I see many students (and their teachers) busily correcting placement of the body and neglecting to check on the placement of the barre arm.<P>We had a thread on that - <P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000247.html><B>Barre - Crutch or Aid?</B></A>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]