public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: vamp
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 6:46 am 

Hi, once again a point shoe question! ;-)<P>I've discovered that the inside wing (where the big toes is) of my right shoe's vamp has become VERY soft, whereas the vamp/ box of the left shoe is still very strong. The right shoe has become that soft that I really "sppill out" of the show with the part of the foot just above the toes. Now, is there a way to get the shoe harder again (like by using shellack [spelling?])? Or is the vamp possibly too low?<P>Thank you in advance!<P>

Post subject: Re: vamp
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 7:08 am 

Some people do try to reharden the shoes with floor wax - I never can remember the name of it!! I did try it a couple of times and it didn't work for me.<P>However, if your foot is spilling out I would guess that the problem is the vamp is too low. Have you considered switching shoes from one foot to another? I used to do that with great success all the time.<P>Also, some dancers put elastic or even long running stitches across the shoe from one side to the other just above where the vamp ends. I have seen this done even in performance. That might help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 7:41 am 

I was going to suggest switching off shoes, too. It would be worth a try.<P>I think the floor wax is called Futura? If anyone out there knows, please verify. I have a couple of students who have tried it. One felt it bought a little life and one felt it was not worth the trouble. <P>It may be that you just need a different length or different shape vamp, but I'd try less costly alternatives first to see if the shoes you have can work for you a while longer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 7:49 am 

Yep - Nancy - that's it - Futura.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:12 am 

thank you for all the suggestions! I've tried switching the shoes, but had the same effect happen to my left foot, too, so I'll try the sewing next and let you know about it! Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]