public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: improvement
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 5:00 pm 

Today I was talking to my teacher after class and we were talking about my summer program(cpyb). She told me that I looked much stronger and--cleaner everything looked neater. Why do I feel as though I am not better. Is it because I cant do as many turns as the best dancer in the class? I just dont feel like I have improved--she didnt sound enthousiastic when she said it--i was expecting much more. I just wanted to share my thoughts because I was a little disappointed and was wondering if any of you out there could offer any comments. Thank you---jessica

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: improvement
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 5:14 pm 

Born2Dance...if your teacher says that you are looking cleaner and stronger - then believe her. Believe her. <P>Those two things - cleaner and stronger - are much, much more important than increasing the rotations of your pirouettes. Remember, there will ALWAYS ALWAYS be someone around with more rotations, higher legs, bigger arches, higher jumps, more beats. So if you go by that you will always be unhappy.<P>And why be unhappy? You are young. You are dancing. You made improvements this summer. Your teacher said so. And you have the world before you. <P>I would advise you not to judge the teacher's words so closely by the tone of her voice or her amount of enthusiasm. You don't know, she might just be tired. Or have had a bad day. I am sure she isn't lying to you, so believe her.<P>If we want to be unhappy we can always find a reason. By the same token, if we want to be happy.....there is so much to be happy about. And being happy is much more pleasant.<P>On that note, I think I will go and have some ice cream......and be happy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 4:17 am 

Born2Dance, sometimes it is difficult to see the improvement within ourselves. I'd trust your teacher. I'd also find it difficult to believe that you wouldn't have made progress in a program such as CPYB's. <P>You wrote previously that you were working on some of the fine points (foot in retire position) this summer. These are the things that will enhance your technique and make it stronger. More revolutions in pirouettes will happen. The fact that they are not happening as a result of the summer intensive does not mean you are not improving! <P>I remember going to summer programs myself. I'd come home feeling like I was on top of the world. Sometimes my teachers would comment on the difference in my dancing. Sometimes they wouldn't. I'd feel deflated (for a little while) when they wouldn't. But I came to realize that the important thing was what the summer experience had done to broaden my perspective on dance in ways I couldn't always put into words, or in ways that weren't evident until some time later.<P>I'd try to concentrate right now on remembering the things you did learn at the workshop. Believe your teacher, and believe in yourself! (And as Basheva said, ice cream can help...)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:21 am 

Believe your teacher! <BR>In my opinion, improving your technique in the ways you intended, and which Nancy brought up again, is the area where much of the expression can be found. Developing one's technique allows the freedom for expression to develop and shine through. How many turns you can do is all very well and good, but is not the final word in my book. <P>Often when we work very hard, we like to hear how well we have improved as a result from our teachers. That is normal, especially when we are younger, because we are still learning. I think your teacher gave you a great compliment on your hard work. Keep working, but enjoy your accomplishments so that you can build on them. You earned it, you deserve it. Now go get that ice-cream. I would like vanilla chocolate chip, please.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:55 am 

I also think that when we come back from something like a summer intensive - or a vacation trip - there is a certain amount of a let down. We spent so much time looking forward to going, and the excitement of doing it....and then it's over!!<P>So, I think you should kind of expect a bit of a let down. That happens sometimes after a performance too.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]