public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Restarting Ballet (I need some tips please and some enco
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:53 am 

Hey howdy all you dancing freaks like me. lol. I'm Crystal and I'll just introduce myself here at the beginning of my question so I don't have to do it later. Here's my life in a pointe shoe - 9 years of dance since I was three, two years off, singing writing, junior in highschool 15. WHEW. ok. DEEP BREATH and here we go

Like I said I'm fifteen. I dance for 9 years until I was twelve and then quit because I got mad at my new dance teacher and my mom wouldn't let me go back to the old studio. Stupid me, I waited two years to get back on track and decide to call the same teacher I'm mad at and ask about ballet classes again. HOWEVER, I haven't danced in all this time and I need some help. MY PHRASEOLOGY HAS GONE DOWN THE DRAIN *runs away screaming*. Ok so I know I can pick it up later, but could someone spell out bar phraseology for advanced ballet for me so I can work through it? thanx so much if you can.
Also, I was in advanced ballet and going on pointe within a month when I last dropped out. Has anyone else jumped back in, and if so would I be able to keep up in an advanced class again? (please say yes - no be brutally honest)
And one more thing, any exercises for strengthing ankles? I've got quite the collection already, but I'm always up for more.

Then the encouragement. I'm currently weighing 150 lbs. Which means that I want to drop 30 pounds. My doctor oked me losing up to 35 pounds and so I'm ok on that point. However I have a very low will power so yah. It sucks, NEVER DROP OUT OF DANCE IF YOU EVER WANNA GO BACK GIRLS (guys don't really have the issue) within two months you'll get a butt and a bust and it sucks.

Well anyway any help would be appreciated. THANX!!!

In the Cross
Crystal

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Restarting Ballet (I need some tips please and some enco
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:37 am 

My reply is nnot so much advice but encouragment.

You're so lucky to have had so much background in dance and it's obviously something you love.
Dancing IS my passion but I've only decided to do something about it in the last few months so you're priviledged.

If dance is what you want to do and it's something you enjoy then dance till your hearts content...as they say!

As soon as you get back into the studio and you're 5 minutes into the lessons, I'm sure everything will come rushing back to you and it will seem as if you had never left !! :D

Keep determind and do what you want and do what you have to to get to where u wanna b !

Have fun
Loz
UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:15 pm 

Welcome to Critical Dance.
As pertaining to your request for advanced barre terminology, that would be fairly difficult, because the steps vary from studio to studio, the names for the steps vary from studio to studio, and it would be difficult to list everything properly without a mistake or omission. This is why I'm going to direct you to an online ballet dictionary and a very good resource book that I feel every serious dancer should have something similar to, because these people get paid to make sure it's perfect.
As for weight, I wouldn't worry about that too much, as a year of ballet should definitely trim you down a bit, and if it doesn't, then would be the time to start making dietary changes, as you won't be partnering for a while yet, and if you lose too much weight and then start exercising heavily, you could get dangerously thin. And I do remember that your doctor OK'd you to lose some weight, but I wouldn't do that before starting dance unless he told you to without you asking, and that goes doubly if you didn't mention you were going to be starting dance.

I hope this has helped.

<small>[ 16 August 2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: MacDancer ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:38 am 

Thanx so much both of you. I needed that boost of confidence so much.
As for the weightloss issue. I was never a "skinny" girl and so I seriously doubt I'll get over skinny. I did tell my doctor I was going back to dance, and he cautioned me the same way. I have no intent of starving myself or anything like that. I did do that once and only succeeded in gaining more weight. By simply carving out my chocolate, see i'm like a chocoholic, I can lose weight. I will definitely eat enough to keep me through.

I'm so so so glad you think I can jump back into classes, and thanx for the linx
Crystal

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]