public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: will I get injured?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:22 am 

I have a audition at the 25th of August for the ballet Coppelia. I haven't danced since the 28th of July but I still do basic barre at home. But, the problem: we will probably do pointe work at the audition and I haven't done any pointe work for about 7 months!!! Will I get injured if I suddenly put the pointe shoes on and do difficult stuff? My teacher always gives us gentle, easy exercises when we haven't done any pointe work for some time. I 'm really worried about this, what do you think? Should I wear my pointe shoes at home and do some basic exercises??? Please help!

Post subject: Re: will I get injured?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:25 am 

Annie - I will tell you very honestly - I wouldn't even consider doing an audition on pointe if I hadn't had a pointe class for 7 months. I wouldn't even attempt it. <P>If I had a two week vacation with no dancing - I usually wouldn't put my pointe shoes on until the end of the first week I was back. <P>Sorry, that is my opinion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:36 am 

I know, Basheva, that's exactly why I 'm so worried and upset right now.I thought I was going to do pointe work at the summer workshop and that's why I signed up for the auditon in the first place but I didn't Image what can I do?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:46 am 

Well, Annie - I don't think there is much you can do. It isn't your fault....things like this happen sometime. Perhaps you can talk to the people running the audition and explain to them what happened.<P>But, I wouldn't take the chance to getting injured....then you surely won't be able to dance. <P>Let's see what others think.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:09 am 

I agree with Basheva. I had one of my injuries after some time off. What happens with a short lay-off (compared to years) is your brain "tells" your body, or muscles what to do, and your body responds the same way as when you were dancing regularly, but the reflexes and strength aren't the same and an injury can result. Mine was a knee injury that occured in a series of attitude turns in one place. I came down into plie on about the 4th one and my muscles were tired and weren't strong enough to maintain correct leg alignment, and that was it. <P>In an audition, you will be trying extra hard to do your best, and maybe not careful enough about taking it easy. From experience, better to be safe than sorry.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 4:35 pm 

Any way you could schedule a couple of private lessons at your studio before the auditions?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 4:50 pm 

A couple of private lessons couldn't really get you up to speed, it's a nice thought though.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 4:59 pm 

I agree with Marie....if one hasn't done pointe in seven months, it would take several months - to get up to speed.<P>Nureyev's calculation was it took twice as long to get back, as one took off. I think it takes at least as long. One month off, means at least one month to get back.<P>You simply can't rush it. The body has to regain its strength. The knowledge may be in the head, but the body has to rebuild a structure.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 1:10 am 

I know that I can do well at the audition on demi-pointe cause I 'm in a good shape(summer workshop). So I am going to go there to do it anyway. What I thought was maybe I would tell the people at the audition that I haven't done any pointe for some time, and maybe they could tell the choreographer that and he would just give us very simple things to do on pointe? By the way, it's not just me who has this problem, a lot of the girls who are doing the audition haven't done any dance lessons for 3 months. This whole mess is only the organisers's fault. How could they put an audition at the end of the summer and expect from us to do well??? I 'm so angry with them Image Anyway, if, at the audition we have to do difficult stuff on pointe, I just won't do them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]