public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Adult Programs in Seattle/Bellevue/Everett??
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:49 pm 

Hopefully, This is the correct place to post this question. Just found this cool site!! <BR>OK here is my question, I have been taking ballet at a very small studio for a most a year , I like the teacher, she is great but, I feel that I need to take more class so that i can keep up in the classes, everyone has been in the classes for a long time, I am just always a couple steps behind.I have just started pointe so I am sure that more classes would also help my technque.I work every hard in class, but I need to find more classed so that I can improve.Hopefully a couple of you are from the Seattle Area!! Any suggestion would be helpful, thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Adult Programs in Seattle/Bellevue/Everett??
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 2:59 pm 

HI Skittle!! Welcome! I live in the Seattle area. What would help me, to help you with suggestions, is to ask: how old are you? I teach some Adult/Teen Ballet classes in the Seattle area, but I would need to know your age to recommend the appopriate level. Also, you say you've been taking for about a year. What level would you consider yourself? Also, I'm a bit amazed that you started doing pointe work, after only studying ballet for one year. Maybe I'm not reading your posting correctly. Typically, one would have to study ballet for several (3-4 yrs) years before starting pointe. Also, what are your goals? There are different types of classes...open classes (mixed levels, usually non-professionally oriented)or graded classes which are more focused on a specific sequence or syllabus, for those who are professionally oriented. Which one would you think you'd be oriented towards?<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited July 31, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:29 pm 

I am 23 and I started in a beginning Adult class and then moved up three months later to an intermediate class. I am not sure what level I would consider myself, because the jump from the first to second class at least for me was huge and I struggle in the intermediate group because they move to quickly, and I can't always pick up on combination so quickly. , So I guess that I am looking for Maybe a beginning adult class, so that I can work on my technique and form.<BR> As for my goals, Well I hope to learn as much as I can, I am starting so late, the like hood of me getting to be a professional is slim, yes I wish that I could dance professional but, I am not sure that would happen. I just want to take it as far as I can; it is such a beautiful art form.<BR> As for the Pointe Class, the class is only ½ hour long and it is a very beginning, very slow class. <BR>If you have any other questions, I would be happy to answer them, Thank you for helping<BR>

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:37 pm 

Welcome to the board Skittle - it's so nice to have you join us. I can't help you with classes in your area - but I am sure that Trina can.<P>In reading your posts, however, it seems that to move from a beginner class to an intermediate class within three months - is a very short time. That could be a big problem. People usually need to stay in a beginner class longer to really understand and be able to do the basics. And the basics are so important.<P>I am sure Trina will have some very good ideas for you.<P>Once again, welcome !<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited July 31, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 6:13 pm 

Thank you Basheva !<BR>I moved up to the next class at the teachers request, she said that I would not be challenge by the beginning class, Actually, I am taking that class as well as my intermediate class, so that I can get better technique over the summer. Thank you again; I totally understand and agree with what you are saying Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 6:41 am 
HELLOM SKITTLE-welcome aboard!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 7:18 pm 

I am just looking for suggestions on Adult beginning ballet class... PNB I know is for really good dancers, I am just looking for a good Ballet program, that I can learn ballet, Please if you know of one please tell me about or how i can find out about it thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 6:45 am 

Hello Skittle - <BR>I am also in Seattle, where there is definitely no shortage of beginning adult ballet classes. It sounds to me like you would like some specifics. I wish I knew how to put links in my message -- I'm new to criticaldance...this is my first message in fact. PNB is offering both "New Beginning" and "Beginning/Intermediate" classes in their Fall 2001 Open Program, so that could be an option for you. PNBs facilities are gorgeous, but classes tend to be large with little one-on-one attention. I'll list a few URLs for other options for you to check out, most of these offer "drop-in" classes so you could try out a studio/school before signing up for lessons long term.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.pnb.org" TARGET=_blank>www.pnb.org</A> <A HREF="http://www.dancegreenlake.com" TARGET=_blank>www.dancegreenlake.com</A> <A HREF="http://www.spectrumdance.org" TARGET=_blank>www.spectrumdance.org</A> <A HREF="http://www.theballetstudio.com" TARGET=_blank>www.theballetstudio.com</A> <P>I hope this is a helpful start in finding your perfect class.<P>- Eily

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 7:28 am 

Welcome to the board Eily - it's a pleasure to have you join us. And thank you so much for helping Skittle.<P>Trina who is a moderator at this board is also in the Seattle area, and I am sure she will be back later with good information.<P>Once again, welcome and thank you, Eily.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 9:02 am 

Hello,<P>I am trying to make myself move to Seattle too. (It's hard for me to do, because I'm a wimp about going out into the world! But Seattle has research jobs that pay actual money, and seeing as how I'm two years out of college, it's about time to have an income I think. Money = ballet classes!)<P>I am interested in hearing about schools in the Seattle area that have an emphasis on ballet. I would like to go to a place where I could take technique class something like five days a week, and I think I'd like to take modern, but I've never done it before. I'm 23, but I've been taking classes with teenagers -- plus I look like a teenager. I got asked if I'd graduated from high school yet just this summer. Image So I wouldn't need an adult-centric class, as long as the teacher doesn't mind me being there. <P>Trina, do you have any suggestions? (Where do you teach?) It might make a difference to where I choose to live. I'd like to be close to both work and dancing. Of course, I haven't gotten a job yet, so I can't be sure of where I'll be. But I should know within a month or so.<P>Thanks. Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]