public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Motivation/bad class
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:36 pm 

Ok--i just got home from class and let me say--it was one of the worst classes i had had all year. So, it got me thinking as to why it was such a bad class. I think that my attidtude started fairly poor(first summer class). I think that my teacher picked up on it and did not make a single comment to me the entire class. So, that made me even more angry so..my attitude worsened. I had to take the enitre class on pointe-every1 else on flat. SO, as I reflect--i think that my attitude started it and it spirled down from there. I kinda used the message bored as a vent place--sorry. If any1 has any comments as to my class--i would LOVE to hear them--i have another class on wednesday--and i hope that i will be re-focused by then. Thanks for listening to my story--jessica<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Motivation/bad class
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 6:36 pm 

Born2Dance.....everyone, EVERYONE, has a class from time to time which is the "worst" class. It just happens. Sometimes its attitude, sometimes its because we don't feel well, sometimes it just "is".<P>I give those days a special name. I call them "maintenance" days. I didn't feel like progress was made, I just "maintained". And, then there are days that seem to spiral downward, as you describe. That's not only true of ballet class, but of many different things in life - school, friendships, jobs, plans, even vacations.<P>There were many times I went to class thinking it was going to be GREAT and I felt so good, and it turned out to be a terrible class!! And other times, I went not feeling very well, and somehow the class turned out great. Why? I have no idea. Just happens.<P>So, don't look back - just look forward. If you feel it necessary you might mention to the teacher on Wednesday, that Monday was not a good day for you, but you plan on working hard and getting refocused. A good teacher will understand - because she has probably had days like that too.<P>Think positive thoughts, look foward, and go on from there. Lots of luck, my friend, Jessica.<P>By the way, how is your foot? Weren't you the one with a hurt foot?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 8:45 am 

Born2dance, you also mention that you had to take the whole class en pointe; everyone else was flat. That could also change your feeling about your performance in class, but to me, it sounds like an honor that your teacher felt you could handle the class en pointe.<P>I love Basheva's "maintenance days." In addition to these, I have found at times, that students have disintegration days, often right before they are to move on to new technical plateaus. Our bodies and minds resist change, so often there's a step backwards before we surge ahead.<P>And then there are just those lousy days, with no explanation. Those were the days when I'd give myself a pat on the back for being there and getting through. And I'd know a good one was around the corner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:28 am 

I do remember some days in which I would go to ballet class and tell myself - I feel so awful I am just going to do pliés, tendu, and then leave. Then I would say, ok ....I will just go up to the adage and then leave.....well, maybe I will finish the barre...but no center.<P>And pretty soon I had finished the whole class, and felt much better.<P>Picking up on Nancy's insight about your being on pointe...sometimes, I found when I was the only one on pointe, the timing was all off. The timing of exercise and music is different for pointe work vis a vis slipper work. It can make the student on pointe look and therefore feel very awkward. Perhaps this happened?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 11:16 am 

Thank you everyone--i plan to go to classes on wed. refreshed and re-focused. As far as my foot goes, i did go to the doctor. I do have achillese tendonitis and i am in physical therapy but still dancing--not what my physical therapist wants. It is failing to get better--but I believe it will. Thanks for the concern.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 4:00 pm 

Born2dance, if that achilles is still giving you trouble, it might be a good thing to listen to your body AND your physical therapist and back off for a while. You don't want that tendonitis to become chronic. And I'd be concerned about extra pointe work until your tendon has healed completely. Please, be careful and take care of yourself.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 4:56 pm 

Born2dance........just for the record I would like to add my most recent experience. Last week I had my first summer classes including pointe and I have to say not only was it the hardest class I had, but also the worst( I could barely get en pointe!!). I was not looking forward to this week's class, yet at the same time trying to be positive......well it worked, my positive side dominated the negative...IT was the BEST class I have ever had. I could do so many things more easily then b4. Though I must give credit where credit is due....Basheva, somewhere there is a thread about staying focused and not looking at others in front of you, and I have to admit It was a strong reason why I was so "off" last week, too distracted. I guess we all have our ups and downs......but you know, in retrospect, I learned ALOT from last's week bad class that helped in today's class. And it feels sooo good to "get something right" Born2dance.......In my opinion, your going have some more bad classes in the years to come, the trick however, is being able to use it to your advantage and learn from it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 5:19 pm 

SalimaC - I am not sure if this is the thread you mean......I read it through - and there is mention of not watching others in front of you because you will be a beat off..<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000501.html><B>MEMORY LOSS</B></a><P>I always found watching the others in front of me was a disaster. I had to know it in my own head, or I was always a beat behind, and making their mistakes as well as my own.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 5:12 am 

LOL - I can really relate to thoughts like "I'll just do plies and tendus and then leave...". I can't tell you how many times I have dragged myself to class so tired I expect to fall asleep draped over the barre, and by the end of class they practically have to throw me out! Guess the endorphins kick in or something, but class nearly always helps me to feel better and even energized. <BR>

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 7:47 am 

I also had a "bad" class yesterday. The studio owner was teaching it and it was more modern/jazzy than I really like. We tried some advance leaps and I just couldn't get it. I felt really bad because the owner has been bending over backwards to let me take classes with the younger girls and has been really supportive of my dance.<P>I'm not very good at fast/complicated combinations, unless they are repeated over and over. After I practice a new step for several classes, I do improve. But sometimes it just takes a bit. One was a hitch/jete and my legs just couldn't copy what my mind was telling them to do. The reverse jete was pretty neat, but I was turning too quickly. The turn combination I kept missing the landing - partly because my feet were slippery, my arms were wrong and I keep looking down.<P>(I need blinders under my eyes to keep from looking down!!!)<P>I guess my mind works like taffy candy. Anything new I have to chew on for a while before the body finally gets it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 8:04 am 

You are in very good company AHallMark...it's not just you!! I read once that the retention rate in any one ballet class is about 5%. And that's just the mind. Takes the body longer because it has to be able to respond. Which is a physical thing.<P>So don't be hard on yourself. <P>I don't think I understand a "hitch/jeté" or a "reverse" jeté. But from your explanation you seemed to understand what it was you were doing wrong, and that is half the battle. So, you are half way there. <P>And, looking down will kill almost anything.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 10:59 am 

I've been having some hard classes too. I've started taking class with some fabulously talented teenagers, and just being in the room with them makes me feel klutzy and inept. But it's also a great experience. They do things so much better than anyone I've ever been in class with before, and it is a real example for me. The way they move their arms, the way the seem to float in their grand jetes, the way their backs arch and their legs extend up to the ceiling. I'm used to being the best in my class, so this is a real motivator for me. A little frustrating, but fun, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 11:55 am 

Getting a look at other fish in a new pond is always an interesting experience.<P>It's easy to be a big fish in a small pond, but it takes one beyond one's normal boundaries to investigate a new pond and see how others swim.<P>Then, one can either sink back or swim with the new fish.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 3:51 pm 

Basheva, to answer your question about a hitch/jete and reverse jete....I didn't know what they were until it was demonstrated so don't feel bad. :-)<P>A hitch/jete is similar to a hitch kick. One leg bends and kicks out. Okay...so do a jete (no develope). The right leg goes straight out front. The left leg comes up in a parrallel retire and the jets out to the rear to finish the jete. I did okay with the right going in front, but when we switched to the left, I just did a "cannonball" jump!<P>Now the reverse jete is similar to a regular jete (no develope) you just turn your body at the height of your jump to look at where you were coming from.... Right leg goes straight front for jete, turn around so that now your left leg is in front and you land on your right.<P>We were doing more jazzy/modern steps that day, so that's where these came from.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 5:41 pm 

Thank you AHallMark.....that's interesting - I wonder if they have ballet/ French names?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]