public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: beginning ballet dancing, HELP!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:24 pm 

Hi everyone :) I am a fifteen year old beginning ballet dancer. I made the mistake of not starting out when I was younger and am desperately looking for ways to catch up! If anyone has any advice or stretches to recommend I'd really appreciate it. Help!

<small>[ 19 March 2004, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: Alisa ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: beginning ballet dancing, HELP!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:30 am 

Alisa, welcome. I'm moving your post to the Students' Questions forum where it'll get more attention. Follow me there.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:39 am 

Alisa... there are and are not ways to catch up. Of course you're going to work "extra hard" at it --- but so are many of your peers who have been dancing for a lot longer.

One of the best ways I've found to make progress if you're starting serious study "late" is to use your mind. Children are taught by repetition and rote, while adults are taught more intellectually. The latter approach can lead to faster progress in some ways. So find a teacher who will teach your mind as well as your body.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:46 am 

Thank you so much for your advice citibob, I'll definitely keep it in mind. I have yet another question: How many years of training is required before going on pointe?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:09 pm 

Alisa - you will need at least 3 years of training before going en pointe in my opinion. You have an advantage in that yopur bones should be virtually fully developped but basically you need to have the strength in your legs and ankles, good upper body poise and strong technical ability on demi pointe before you can begin pointe work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:47 pm 

try paticing splits.be carful.if you start to feel pain dont go any further.but paticing splits will make you more flexiable.

<small>[ 28 March 2004, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: okgo ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:47 pm 

Well, I don't have any advice in particular, but if you are very serious, then you certainly can catch up quickly. I myself am the case in point: I will have been dancing for three years in August, and I currently dance with my company's most advanced dancers who have been dancing for several years. It's true, I'm not as good as them, but I partner the most advanced ballerinas as a lesser counterpart and the girls my age or a year or so older as an equal. I suppose it does help that I'm male, and that my company had about a fifteenth the boys above ten as the girls above ten. However, I think that you can still progress rapidly, and be at least in a few classes a week with people near your age in a few years. One thing I will suggest is that you have a monthly private or semiprivate class if possible. That will most likely help you a huge amount. Good luck!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:17 pm 

Thanks everyone for your advice, it helps a lot!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:47 am 

Alisa you sound exactly like me i'm also 15 and just starting ballet.i've always loved ballet but i never took classes until this year because we got a dance teacher at my school and she said i'm naturally talented and need to take classes.One thing i can suggest is if your school offers any kind of dance classes take them and your teacher might decide to help you learn more mine is and in November she wants me to try out for Dance Theatre of Harlem at the Kennedy Center and i don't have to be on pointe which i'm not well i hoped this helps you :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]