public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: pointe work
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 9:03 am 

From what I have read she was the last major ballerina trained under the Czars. <P>Perhaps the word "major" could be open to interpretation. I am willing to agree to disagree. There is quite a bit of interesting information on her on Google:<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Alexandra+Danilova%22&btnG=Google+Search" TARGET=_blank><B>GOOGLE SEARCH - ALEXANDRA DANILOVA</B></A><P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 23, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2001 10:52 am 

Katheryn, I can identify with your feeling of regression. When I was working with teachers who asked me to change major parts of my technique, I felt as if I had never danced a step in my life. But those feelings do go away, and as Basheva has said, you will be helping to pave a much healthier road for your body and your life as a dancer!<P>Trina, I had a feeling you would pick up on the SAB/Danilova connection. The answer is no, I did not go to SAB. In my dreams only. Never had the body for that school. I studied with Danilova at a school called International, at Carnegie Recital Hall, probably before your time. Ouch, do I feel old!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 2:00 am 

the dance research librarian here in new york informed me yesterday that there had never been a biography of leslie browne, and others have told me that she never did a ballet competition, so i am passing that information along.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 11:56 am 

Yes, pmeja, "the vortex" was the ballet I was talking about. I actually forgot that the movie ends with the Browne/Barishnikov pas de deux!<P>"Listening" to you guys talk about the talented ballerina's of the past makes me wish that I had stuck with it when I was younger. Maybe I would know more about the great teachers/dancers/choreographers....<P>*sigh*

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 4:21 pm 

You know what my favorite part of Choura (Danilova's autobiography) is? When she discusses her nail polish, it describes perfectly her meticulous appearnace that everyone has been discussing. I believe someone reprimanded her for having red nail polish on one night, dancing Odette. After that she made sure that her nails were painted white for Swan Lake and that her nails always matched the ballet. LOL the idea of painted nails and the ballet is amusing to me. I have never had painted nails for a performance nor do I think that would be permitted..but of course Danilova could get away with it..even if painted nails were permitted at the time! Image<BR>Oy, sorry everyone, I just went back and realized that there were 2 pages worth of posts on this, I had only read page one..sorry my response is a little out of touch now..<P>------------------<P>"If it's self expression you are looking for the place for you is the analyst's couch" - Merce Cunningham<p>[This message has been edited by Misa_danseuse (edited May 24, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 4:44 pm 

Not at all Misa, it is very much in touch.<P>Make up (polish) on finger nails is an interesting subject.<P>As many of you who read this board probably know, I had the very rare privilege of being the only one allowed to be present at a private class of prima ballerina Alicia Alonso when she was in San Diego to dance Giselle. She is one of the most famous interpreters of Giselle of the 20th century.<P>I got to watch her rehearse and then perform. I saw her the two nights she danced. On one night I sat in the second row from the stage. Purposely, I wanted to see her very closely. One of the things she did was to polish her long finger nails, with what looked to me like a silvery white polish. She has long graceful hands and this extended her hands even further. <P>She is famous for her bravura dancing, lyrical Giselle, and her reverences. The audience applauded on and on and kept her before the curtain for quite a long time. She went from one glorious reverence to another. Many, many I had never seen before. Those hands of her, extenuated by those long fingers and nails - and that silvery white polish - was amazing. She looked like a Dresden porcelain sculpture. <P>I had always been taught one never polishes one's finger nails for the stage in classical ballet, especially not a ballet blanc....but it certainly worked for her. This was in the late 70's and I remember it well.<P>If anyone is interested in reading about it - here is the link:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000163.html><B>ALICIA ALONSO</B></A><BR><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 24, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2001 5:55 pm 

Basheva, talk about enviable experiences! Now that the topic has come up, I do remember Danilova's "perfect grooming" included her nails. There were a number of teachers from that era who also polished their nails. Funny, I hadn't thought about that in a long time!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 2:20 am 

alicia alonso danced the white swan pas de deux at ballet theatre's 35th anniversary celebration in 1975 and her company came on tour to the met in 1978-79. on the first of those tours she danced the full length giselle. it is worth noting that on the first of those tours of her company, there were of course many political protests, and the windows of one side of neighboring avery fisher hall were blown out by some type of bomb. everyone who entered the metropolitan opera had to be searched, and had to wear a button testifying to having been searched, or they would not be allowed in. as a consequence, the curtain went up 45 minutes late (8:15 for an original time of 7:30).<P>here is the information for the first return she made to america to dance:<P>Gala performance, July 28, 1975, New York State Theater. <BR>Alicia Alonso and Jorge Esquivel of the Ballet Nacional de Cuba, Noella Pontois of the Paris Opéra, and Rudolf Nureyev appeared as special guest artists. <P>Erik Bruhn and Gelsey Kirkland were also on that program, as well as others. <P>also a year after her first performance back in the u.s., she returned to ballet theatre to dance 'carmen'. <P>[This message has been edited by pmeja (edited May 25, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by pmeja (edited May 25, 2001).]

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 2:59 am 

Pmeja, thank you for that information on Alonso. I attended some of those performances when she brought her company over in the late 70's. For both the Cuban and Russian companies the security was very tight. I'd forgotten about the delayed curtains, the metal detectors, having all your bags searched (down to every nook and cranny of my cosmetics case, including opening lipsticks and the like!), the security detail hovering around the stage and throughout the house. It was a very spooky feeling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 5:16 am 

When Alicia Alonso was here in San Diego, she danced three nights. Two of those nights were the full length Giselle, and the third night .....I am trying to remember...it might have been Paquita or La Peri, but I could be wrong. It was a ballet that is not often danced. Well, not as often as say, Giselle, or Swan Lake. Jillana danced that night too. She came out of retirement to dance. <P>Jorge Esquival was Albrecht, Elaine Thomas, formerly of the Royal Ballet (I believe soloist and ballet mistress) was Giselle's mother. I donated all my old programs to the University library and so I don't have them to consult. Barbara Martin (wife of Keith Martin, former soloist Royal Ballet and artistic director of San Diego ballet) was Myrtha.<P>As I remember it she was scheduled to dance in late October...but she came down with a very bad fever. It might have been Dengue fever (my memory is being taxed here) and so it was re-scheduled for December. I could be off a month of so - but that is approximately it. <P>At the end of Act I when Giselle is being comforted by her mother, the necklace that had been given Giselle got caught in Alonso's hair (the hair was down for the Mad Scene) and Elaine Thomas (mother) had to literally rip it apart. I was sitting quite close (as I noted in an above post) and I could see the effort to rip that thing apart. I really held my breath.<P>She was very regal, but a pleasure to work with. The dancers were truly in awe. Her daughter, Laura, gave her and Jorge private class. <P>I believe the pianist was Karl Fogmeg - he recorded under the name St. Martin, as I recall. He was wonderful - had once been pianist to Balanchine, I believe. He was probably the best pianist for ballet class I have ever come across - a real artist.<P>When Alonso arrived the press came to interview and take pictures - so that was exciting too. <p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited May 25, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 6:01 am 

I guess I should add, regarding the above posts mentioning special security, there was no special security of any kind that I remember at the San Diego performances.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 1:28 pm 

that may well have been because in san diego, where she appeared either late in 1977 or early 1978, she appeared alone, (with a partner, but without the company) and in the 1978-79 performances she was accompanied by the entire national ballet of cuba. at her previous performances with ballet theatre in new york 2 and 3 years before, there had not been that reaction.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 1:52 pm 

You are probably right, Pmeja - She only came with Jorge, Laura, and maybe a couple of others in her entourage...but not the company.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2001 1:54 pm 

Wow! I just read Basheva's account of viewing Alicia Alonso in private class! What an amazing story! Thank you Basheva for letting us share in that memory! Everyone here should click the link and enjoy, what a wonderful read! Image

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3