public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What do I do?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:49 pm 

i know this may sound stupid, but since i was 5 i wanted to be a dancer, and i've had all this dance training and it cost my mum so much money. except now, i've gotten a place to do retail management and business, which leads to me opening my own store one day. what i dont know is that do i go do this course and get started with the plans for my shop, or do i continue with my dancing and hope that it will pay off and get into a company. all this year i've been planing on what to sell for this shop, i've found suppliers and now its just down to do i continue with dancing, quit my dream career and get started on something that i think will be heaps of fun? both these careers mean a lot and i just dont know what to do, help!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What do I do?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:40 pm 

Dancing is a lot of work, and I'm sure that owning your own shop can be fun as well.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 12:53 pm 

Hi Voni and welcome to CriticalDance.

Some thoughts:

- maybe it would be good to get some in-depth careers guidance, where they will interview you about what you like, what you´re good at, what you want from life and provide a structure for you to approach this difficult decision.

- is it possible to defer the management course for , say, up to 2 years and make a decision then about which route to take, initially.

- At some stage you will stop dancing and retail management sounds like a good choice then in any case. But it may be the best choice now, as well.

- Have you discussed your dance career prospects with your teachers? Bear in mind that apart from a priviliged few, full-time pro dancers often have poor money, terms and conditions and job security plus short, injury-prone careers. But as Gene Kelly said ``Gotta dance!``

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:19 pm 

I myself combined the two. I commenced full time employment at the age of 17 which in turn funded my dancing.(That surely in itself makes one appreciate what our parents have to go through to pay for lessons/costumes/workshops/performances etc ha ha) Along the way I discovered that teaching dance is what my true calling was which was fantastic because then my full time job enabled me to fund my own dance studio (started of part time and built up the studio to a full time concern) as well as paying the mortgage/bills/travel etc. only my experience though! the best of both worlds tee hee. PS. As my husband was a ballroom dancer and we danced in a partnership for many many years, I kept up my own dance career physically as well adding another string to my bow. Really the possibilities are quite endless. Perhaps some career councelling would not go astray and perhaps have a chat to your dance teachers also. Always best to weigh up all the pros and cons and make informed decisions and hopefully have not regrets onthe final outcome (boy is that possible?) Good luck with it all. Please keep us posted on your decision.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:28 am 

Thank you to everyone who gave their advice.
I've spoken to some of the people in the industry, my dance teachers and some of my friends, plus you guys, and depending on how my audition on 07/11, i'll be able to let you know whats happening. Thank you soooooooooooo much it's been a big help :)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]