public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pointe
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 4:37 pm 

Hey!<BR>K when I do pointe I tend to have my weight very far back! i try to fix it but I look awkward! I was wondering if you had any tips to keep my weight for but with good posture. Thanks!!!<BR>Courtney

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pointe
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 4:58 pm 

Courtney - first let me welcome you to the board - it's a pleasure to have you with us.<P>May I ask how long you have been on pointe? Have you spoken to your teacher about this? and what does she say?<P>Are you fully up on the platforms of your pointe shoes? <P>The correct placement - being foward - begins on flat and progresses to demi-pointe and only when you really understand and have accomplished that, are you ready for pointe.<P>I am also wondering if you are able to get your knees straight when you are up on pointe? and still fully over the platforms of your shoes?<P>Here are a couple of threads you might want to read:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000332.html><B>Pointe - Assessing Readiness</B></A><P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000348.html><B>ALIGNMENT - THE SCAFFOLDING</B></A><P>There is also a lot of information that you can find - by using the "search" at the top of the page.<P>Once again - welcome.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 6:41 pm 

Well this is my second year on pointe. the first year I didnt have my knees stretched and my weight being forward was very bad but I am getting better and most of the time my knees are pulled up but still someytimes my weight is backa nd i was just wondering wether there was a reason for that or not! Thanks a lot!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2001 6:49 pm 

Courtney - how is your weight on demi-pointe?<P>When your weight is back are you up on pointe - or just in pointe shoes but standing flat? Sometimes ill fitting pointe shoes will throw the student back, especially when she is standing flat in them.<P>Are you fully up on your platforms? with straight knees? If your knees are straighter now, it means you are making progress.<P>What does your teacher say?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 2:43 pm 

*Courtney* - I have the same problem. My teacher says it's because I tend to thrust my chest and rear end out when I'm en pointe, so my torso makes an S shape (it's called "swayback" in medical terminology, I think). <P>I find that I twist myself up like this because initially, it's easier to take a balance en pointe, especially when we're doing exercises at the barre and the teacher tells you to briefly let go to test your balance. While this helps you initially, in the long run, it hurts you. You can't do turns or any centre work properly when you're swaybacked - it's like you've created two centre of balances for your body to figure out.<P>Have your teacher watch for this when you're doing pointe exercises, but NOT WHEN YOU'RE HOLDING THE BARRE. For example, do some releves facing the barre, then releve to sous-sous position and let go of the barre. Your teacher will be able to see if you're going swaybacked, as it will usually happen right when you let go.<P>Think of "tucking" your pelvic bones up and forward towards your diaphraghm and presenting your decollete (Balanchine said "present a diamond necklace") to the audience. Keep your chin up and use your turnout - but DON'T stick your rear out in order to widen your turnout!<P>My teacher did not let me go back en pointe until I had corrected this on flat first - she said it was dangerous to my body and would create bad habits which would hold me back for the rest of my life.<P>Hope I helped!<p>[This message has been edited by Bree (edited May 29, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 4:07 pm 

Great stuff, Bree, thank you...always a pleasure to see you.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]