public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: exams
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm 

I am from a small studio in wisconsin--near milwaukee. I was wondering how i could start exams...does it have to be something that your school does..how does it work? Thank you

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: exams
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 5:38 pm 

Born2Dance - exams are given for those students who take a syllabus program for ballet - or other dance forms. For instance if you take RAD (Royal Academy of Dance) or Cecchetti, or ISTD, they study a specific curriculum. <P>Each year what the students study is determined by the governing body of the syllabus. The teacher is accredited to that syllabus and she teaches what the program calls for. There are certain set exercises at the barre and in the center to certain pieces of music. The students also do a certain amount of "free" work - work that is not specified in the curriculum.<P>At the end of a certain amount of time, when the teacher determines that the students are ready, they appear in front of examiners and show the examiners what they have learned - and how well they can execute what they have learned. It also includes terminology as well as the set exercises - and might even include a certain amount of "free" work.<P>Then the students are graded - like - fail, pass, or pass with honors, etc. Then the student goes on to the next level.<P>So you need to find a teacher who is accredited with whatever syllabus you are interesting in. You just can't do it for yourself. <P>As we have discussed in several other threads there are many pluses and minuses in doing it this way. Some of us chose to teach within a syllabus and others chose not to. I am one of those who chose not to. But that is a personal choice for the teacher, as well as the student.<P>If you are interested in this you need to find a RAD teacher, or a Cecchetti teacher, or an ISTD teacher.<P>Red Shoes and Joanne are syllabus teachers....they will surely have something to add.<P>Nancy, Trina and I are not syllabus teachers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 10:47 pm 

What Basheva has told you is exactly right - you cannot enter yourself for exams it has to be done by a teacher who has qualified with that particular teaching body.<P>I am not au fait with all the teaching bodies in the US but if you contact the RAD through their website, <A HREF="http://www.rad.org.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.rad.org.uk</A> they should be able to provide you with a list of their accredited teachers in the US.<P>There are pluses and minuses to exams - they can give you a sense of where you are at, of achievement and can also be an independent assessment. Do exams if you want to do them and also if you are interested in becoming a syllabus teacher later on. It will not help you especially with a performance career - companies will look for good dancers regardless of whether they have taken exams or not.<P>Being accredited to a particular syllabus seems a lot more important in the UK than the US. If you are interested in doing exams then I would say go for it - it will be a different expereince and that is what enriches our careers as dancers.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 9:03 am 

I trained almost entirely in the RAD syllabus, and I think it is a good system, as I've said before, as syllabi go.<P>There is quite alot of free work and free classes involved apart from the set stuff, especially later on in training. But it depends a lot on how foten the pupil attends: ontwice a week it's hard to put a lot of free work in AND prepare adequately for the exams. The exam standard is high, and very high for the Major work, so getting your Elementary, Inter or Advanced is a big deal for anyone doing RAD, as the passes and so on aren't handed out lightly.<P>The certificates are an excellent way of getting a totally unbiased opinion of your level and progress: the examiners are always people you don't know, and they base their judgements on a worldwide standard, so an Elementary pass with Honours in Italy will be equivalent to the same pass in Tokyo, within human possibility.<P>Probably the best results would be by combining a syllabus system with all the advantages of clear progression (through exam assessments) and clean technique (through repetition, which has it's advantages at the end of the day), and free classes in another style, to develop more freedom of movement, more awareness of your musicality and more ability to pick up tricky enchainments.<BR>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]