public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Potential!?!?!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 5:12 pm 

I hear that I have dance ability, but my teacher puts so much emphasis on the way I am with music. I started out in music before dance, and I was pretty good at it. I taught myself how to play a couple of instruments, but mostly I was a vocal major. I just have a natural ear, I guess, for tone and rhythm. I'm not trying to brag, but this is how my situation is with music. It comes somewhat easy to me. So my teacher tells me I should do that to find my way to dance. She always pushes towards that when I ask about college and stuff (she knows, cuz all the magnet teachers work together on shows and other things, so she sees me with music often). This is reeally frustrating because I LOVE dance, and I hane potential in that too, I her it from all of my teachers. It REALLY irks me because there are lots of people that dance with me at school who have been dancing for longer, but don't show passion, and look all bland when they dance, and just make it look clunky or weird. they just remember a little more technique than me. Stuff like that. And they don't really do much of anything else talent wise, but my teacher just says I could do dance in college because I have the drive, like that is ALL I have going for me! I'm not trying to be arrogant or anything, but I just do things differently than some of those people who don't even seem to care AT ALL!!! Like this one girl, she can tap ASTONISHINGLY WELL, but her feet go, and her face lloks like she just woke up, and her arms just hang like dead chickens! I know, I sound SO MEAN, but I'm not this mean! But WHY does my teacher do that? She acts like the whole dance cepartment is just full of naturallly lovely moving dancers, and I'm just some bad-dancing person. Is it just that she sees that music coems so much more easily and doesn't want me to regret not doing that, because I'd really regret not dancing and singing in the pit of a dance show, crying my heart out wishing that I had just danced! Image Sorry to fune like that folks, I just want it SO BAD. And the teacher isn't bad by any means, I just feel like there's something she isn't telling me, like I am really just bad and look stupid, but she doesn't want to hurt my feelings! but then why would my dancing friends and other teachers tell me I'm doing great and stuff? Am I being exceptionally patronized? Image Image Image

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Potential!?!?!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2001 5:31 pm 

Bebounce, dear heart, don't let this one teacher's goals for you, intrude upon your goals for yourself. Take it as a compliment that you have talents in several different directions. You have choices. <P>If you want to you could always take a class completely somewhere else - and get an objective second opinion. Someone who doesn't know you. You could go to another class - at a studio that doesn't know you - and then after about a month, if you feel the teacher is the kind of person who's knowledge you trust, you could have a very serious discussion about your goals. Tell this teacher when you start that you need an assessment.<P>The opinion of someone who has no prior knowledge of you can be a very valuable thing. But it has to be someone who is knowledgeable and trustworthy. <P>Or you could set up a private lesson with such a teacher, and tell her beforehand that you are after a true assessment of your capabilities.<P>Because your present teacher is indicating another direction does not mean that she is saying you haven't "got it" to be a dancer. You could also have a very serious discussion with her about this. Or you could talk to your school guidance counselor about what is bothering you.<P>As for the others who seem to dance so well, and yet are asleep while they do it, forget about them. Don't let them intrude on you and what you are doing. There are always people like that....just smile and do your thing.<P>I think that no matter in which direction you decide to go, you will find both your musical ability and your dance education will benefit you enormously - for the rest of your life.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]