public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: retiring pointe shoes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 8:50 am 

I'm new to the pointe world so just bear with my questions. <P>I bought a pair of pointe shoes (bloch, serenades) last fall. I was only in a prepointe class so we rarely wore them, but my teacher let me go up on releves to break them in. I probably wore them a maximum of 10 times. Three weeks ago i started my pointe class and yesterday I felt like my pointe shoes were a part of me. They fit perfectly and they were totally broken in. However, my teacher said that they are now on the verge of breaking!! and that I should retire them!! I'm so upset, I know that no pointe shoes are alike and I'm scared that if I buy new ones It will take a long time b4 I feel as comfortable and then once I do I'll have to buy new ones again!! Is this normal?? How often should a pair last if you have class once a week?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: retiring pointe shoes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 9:11 am 

SalimaC - I would say that since you are new to pointe - your teacher is your best judge of when you need new shoes. They may feel comfortable to you - but she may feel as if you are not getting enough support. I suggest that you talk to her about your concerns. Ask her just that question - are you getting enough support?<P>As to how long shoes last - well, I have had one pair that I almost couldn't wear out - they lasted me an unheard of six months of constant class and rehearsal. I also had one pair that lasted me 5 minutes - the satin tore out of the sole along the wing. <P>It's hard to give an average - because it depends on the shape of the dancer's foot and how she uses her feet. As your feet get stronger you might be able to use them longer - because you won't need quite as much support. <P>And as you get more and more experienced you will be a better judge of when you need new ones.<P>So, I suggest you talk to your teacher and go by her judgement.<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 27, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: retiring pointe shoes
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 11:18 am 

I have to say that when I was doing pointe the best sign of when my shoes were almost worn out was when they felt most comfy. Something like Murphy's Law I think.<P>I found that different pointe shoes lasted different lengths of time even if they were the same make and style. It is like anything - things can come in different qualities even if they are supposedly the same make and style.<P>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]