public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Dance films
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 4:38 am 

Maybe you already have a link on this one, I am officially on break from dance classes as summer secession is over and don't know how I am going to survive without them until September. What are the names of some of your most favorite books and movies to at least keep my mind occupied with dance? I mean mostly fun stuff, not necessarily classes via TV. I am going to the gym and doing step classes and pilates and training to be a stronger dancer when I get back.But I miss the spiritual aspect that I love about Ballet.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Dance films
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 5:35 am 

If you haven't seen the movie "Billy Elliot" - you should take a look. It's very good. For a more Hollywood sort of main stream film - "Center Stage" is quite good - there's some great dancing in it and the story isn't bad...<P>I think if you do a search on "books" and "films" you will find other existing threads on this subject.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 5:37 am 

Is it amazing how to those of us who love the dance - ballet - that no other activity takes its place isn't it? It does have a spirituality about it, you are right.<P>We had a recent discussion on books...so I won't repeat my choices here. Here is the link:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum7/HTML/000834.html><B>Dance Books</B></A><P>As for films - there are hundreds. A good source can be your local library, they often have a good collection. Also if you have access to a college library. And then of course your local video store.<P>I enjoy reading dancers' biographies and also dance history - early history as well as the 1900's. As for films/tapes well, frankly my cup runneth over. There are so many.....<P>Here is a link to a thread in which this was discussed:<P><A HREF=../../../ubb/Forum4/HTML/000966.html><B>Favorite Ballet Videos</B></A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2001 8:08 am 

When it comes to dance films, they fall into at least two categories. One is videos of ballet repertory; i.e. full-length ballets such as Swan Lake, or sometimes repertory programs with three or four short pieces. <P>The other would be videos of dance films, or films about dance, such as Center Stage. Besides CS and Billy Elliot, two others spring to mind: The Turning Point and The Red Shoes. They are worth checking out, too, I think (I'd just keep in mind that they are older films, and some things may look a bit dated, especially in The Red Shoes. But these are classics). <P>As Ryebred and Basheva have said, there are tons of books and videos out there. Have fun!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 3:43 am 

I liked The Turning Point very much.<BR>Good acting, good story, nice cameo by Antoinette Sibley and also by a miffy young choreographer whose name I don't recall, nice dancing, humour, drama and generally entertaining. I liked the bit when she got drunk and got her timing all wrong in the corps in Giselle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 5:05 am 

I heartily agree with you Red Shoes and Nancy.<P>I have the Turning Pointe - and love to watch it. One of my favorite things about it is Alexandra Danilova. I heard a cute story about that - I am not sure it is true. At one point she was consulted as to who she would recommend to play an old Russian ballet teacher....and she answered, "me, of course!!" And she was right. I thought she was terrific.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 7:32 am 

That scene from Giselle is one of my all-time favorites, too, Red Shoes. In fact, I have a tough time trying to block that out whenever I go to see any performance of Giselle now...<P>I can't imagine anyone other than Danilova playing that role, and I can definitely imagine her recommending herself!<P>I think the young choreographer's role was played by a dancer named Daniel Levans. The piece he was supposedly choreographing was actually a section from Alvin Ailey's "The River" if I remember correctly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 9:23 am 

I don't know if it just ballet that you are interested in but if you like theatre dance too then have a look at West Side Story, An American in Paris and also any of the That's Entertainment compilation films that show snippets of all the great MGM musicals - they even brought out one called That's Dancing I think.<P>I now have West Side Story and it is great to just skip to the Jets and the Sharks, America, Dance at the Gym. I may have to go and put it on in aminute....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 10:43 am 

AN American in Paris is one of my favorite movies. It also has some nice dancing in it-the red-haired lady is a lovely ballet dancer.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 3:15 pm 

Another recent Hollywood dance film is "Save the Last Dance"--it was not all that good plot-wise, but there was some interesting dancing. An "oldie" that I really like is "Singin' In the Rain"--I know--not ballet, but still great dance numbers are there. Also on video now is "Cats", "Riverdance" (etc.) and of course many different companies' "Nutcracker". All of the above should be available for rent at your local video store.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 8:53 am 

Again, not strictly ballet, but well worth seeing:<P>ALL THAT JAZZ, with Roy Scheider.<BR>A CHORUS LINE, with Michael Douglas (but don't let that put you off! Image )<P>Incidentally, could somebody please tell me why they changed and eliminated some songs from the stage show when they did the film? <p>[This message has been edited by Red Shoes (edited August 07, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 10:17 am 

One of my all time favorites is West Side Story - I love the dancing.<P>However, did you ever notice that in the film version, I think it's the wedding dance, the way the film is edited one really can't see the dancing. It is very cut up.<P>Remember the Bottle Dance?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 10:39 am 

Oh, I love the Bottle Dance from Fiddler on the Roof! Perhaps it's because my husband and I played in the pit for a production of it, and he played that wonderful klezmer clarinet solo. (I did oboe/English horn.) <BR>If you will indulge me for a moment, let me relate how we pit-dwellers had our moment in the sun. This theatre had a pit that could be raised or lowered, and during curtain calls, the stage crew would raise it while we played the ending music and the conductor took his bow. On the last night the musicians all put on hats with bottles attached and rose from the pit playing furiously. Not very professional, I suppose, but it brought down the house. The audience and the cast loved it! Ah, showbiz. :-)<P><BR>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:11 am 

my most favorite dance film ever is "White Nights" with Gregory Hines and Mikhail Baryshnikov. I just love that dance scene with mikhail in the begining of the film. and in the middle of the film when he is explaining to his x-girlfriend why he doesn't want to stay in Russia, and he does that incredible dance scene, i just cry like a baby. can you imagine someone telling you what you can and can't dance? Not allowing you to like he said, fly? it actually took me a good 3 months to find that movie. it's not around anymore. i had to order it. <P>kim

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:54 am 

I'm so glad someone else remembers "White Nights." Such a great movie in every way. The director and cinematographer must have shared a love of dance because they went out of their way to show it. I could watch this one again and agin.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next