public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: different turns
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 3:57 pm 

In an derrier attitude turn (en dedan) I always hear people say to put your weight forward. If I do that I can normally only pull off one turn, if I think of shifting my weight to in between my shoulders I can normally do three. Does that mean that I'm doing then wrong?? or just thats how I need to do them?? <P>~K~

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: different turns
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2001 4:11 pm 

Kyle - for me - in the turn you are describing the placement of the shoulders is crucial. The shoulder into which I am turning has to lead me around - not open - but leading. But even more important, the shoulder I am turning away from, <u>MUST</u>, come with me. If I leave that shoulder behind, I am dead. Well, my turn is.<P>As for being forward, if you simply do a relevé in the attidude derriere, without the turn, where is your weight? And when you begin to fall off the demi pointe - in which direction do you fall? Back? forward? sideways? If you know which way you normally fall, that will help you to know where the placement needs correction.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 5:54 am 

OK well I just tried it and I tend to fall away from my leg thats in attitude. I have the keep my shoulder almost in line w/ my hip. The thread on male vs female made me think that when my teacher told me to put my torso in front of my hips, might be because thats where she has to for her center of gravity but if I did that I'd be eating floor.<P>I have another question that came up today about piques. We were doing them in a series inside then finishing w/ a outside one I have so much momentum that I fall out of that last turn. How are you supposed to control momentum when you get too much?<BR>I have the same problem w/ inside pirroettes when I take my arms to high 5th...any suggestions?<P>~K~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 6:30 am 

Kyle - first the attitude turn.....I once read an article in which Nureyev was quoted as saying "lean toward the lifted leg". That has always worked for me.<P>Try it in retiré - think about leaning slightly toward the lifted leg. If you lean even the smallest bit away from your lifted leg, that puts you toward the little toe of your standing foot. That toe can offer you very little support. If you think of leaning the slightest bit toward the lifted leg, that will place you more over the large toe of your standing foot. THAT toe can offer you a great deal of support.<P>Now for the piqués - or any turn. Of course you have to control the speed - you can't let it get away from you. If you fall off a finish - or don't end up in control - no one will remember the speed of the turns, only the sloppy ending.<P>So, what I do, is PLAN for the ending. When you are two turns from the end, KNOW that the end is coming and slow down (the smallest bit) the final turn and then you will be in control of the ending. If the final turn ends with a failli sweeping through first position to end up with a tendue back - as a final pose - then dig that failli foot into the floor. Use the sweep through first position and the floor as your brake.<P>I have found that planning ahead is essential. I start to slow down my speed two turns from the end, the final turn is definitely in control, then I sweep the foot through first position, digging into the floor, and voila!! I have a nice finish. <P> Let me know what happens.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited June 01, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 6:11 pm 

thanks Basheva<BR>I'll work on it all Image<BR>plus everything else AKA getting to the perfect techinique AND making it look good on stage. I just got back from dress rehearsal and I'm worn out so I'm off to sleep, I'll perfect my technique tomorrow Image<BR>~K~

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]