public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nike Pointe Shoes?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 4:01 pm 

I was watching a Nike commercial a few days ago and was thinking, wow, they pay athletes millions of dollars for one commercial just so people will buy their shoes. <P>I got to thinking, we ballet dancers spend TONS of money on our shoes (more than basketball players, I'd wager, because we have to replace them more often) - yet there isn't a brand of shoe that actively uses a superstar ballerina to showcase the product. I mean, we know that Paloma Herrara special orders her Capezios, but she's in Movado WATCH commercials, not SHOE commercials.<P>Would you buy a certain type of shoe because your favourite ballerina wore them? What would this kind of advertisement do for you?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Nike Pointe Shoes?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 4:12 pm 

I love this thread title, Bree....it will be interesting to see what people say in answer to these questions you have asked...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 2:30 am 

There was a magazine ad within the past couple of years that had a ballerina (can't remember who...) in a tutu and running shoes (maybe Reeboks?). Fun topic, Bree!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 1:30 pm 

Yeah that is an interesting question. I personally wouldn't but then I don't consider myself to be someone particularly swayed by marketing like that - I'm sure this type of endorsement would persuade lots of people to buy that make.<P>Dance shoes however are a very personbal thing and everyone has makes they prefer. I would think it is the same with sports shoes. I think with sports shoes however there is a lot more of a fashion market and the sportstar adevertising is aimed, in my opinion, more at the fashion conscious rather than those just buying the shoes for sports purposes.<P>that is just my opinion, what do others think?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2001 2:08 pm 

I know that when I was dancing there were far fewer styles and makes to chose from. Most of the "big stars" were wearing Freeds or Schachtner. Schachtner were not available in this area - so those were out.<P>I started and stayed all those years - and still do actually - with Capezios. But, once a friend convinced me to try Freed's. Nope, not for me - just didn't work out at all.<P>I agree with Joanne - it's such a personal decision that an ad would never sway me.<P>Didn't Cynthia Gregory do magazine ads for a wristwatch company? And Nureyev did ads for an adult beverage which shall be nameless.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 1:45 pm 

The Ballerina in the Tutu and the running shoes was Deanna McBreaty from NYC Ballet. Image Just thought I woud add that...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2001 11:29 pm 

Thanks LIlBallerina<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 7:13 am 

Didn't Sylvie Guillem (sorry my spelling is bad Image) once advertise Nike trainers?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 2:03 pm 

Does anyone remember what company used a sumo wrestler sporting pointe shoes in their advertisements?<P>I remember the ads, but I can't remember the company....I want to say it was a beer or a wood floor company.<BR>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 2:59 pm 

Alcoholic beverage commercial rings a bell, but for some reason I don't think that was what it was for.<P>I remember looking at the ad and thinking - wow, this guys must be wearing Capezio Contemporas!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]