public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting started?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:39 am 

I noticed a thread similar in topic to this but wanted to ask some other questions as well.

I'd like to get into contemporary dance and ideally would like to make a career from it. I've always wanted to dance but never felt like i could make that sort of life changing decision (i'm a scientist at the moment). I'm realising that if i dont do it soon then I probably wont get the chance. I'd rather have tried and not made it than regret not doing it when i'm older.

I'm a 23yr old male from the UK with no dance training. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to whether this is (realistically) too old to start. I haven't read through the threads on this board for peoples experiences yet but maybe I could get some here.

Thoughts much appreciated.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Getting started?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:19 am 

Firstly welcome to the board.

If you have no dance experience to realise your dream you must first go and and start taking class. To become a professional takes years of hard work, but the hard work is no use unless you have some talent for dance. Only after you have taken some classes will you know if you have ability and more importantly if you enjoy dance.

It would be very hard work to become a professional after beginning at 23 - but I suppose one must never say never.

If you have a love of dance but also a good career would it not be a good start to see how you enjoy it as a hobby first. Many adults take great pleasure from dance as an aside to their everyday life.

I hope that helps.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:57 pm 

Hi entanglement from me too. I want to back up what Joanne has said. Step 1 is going to a Beginner's Contemporary Dance Class and see how you get on. Which part of the UK do you live in?

Remember that many of those in Contemporary dance companies have already been dancing for at least 5 years and often longer and will have taken a 3-year degree courses in dance plus a post-grad 1-year pre-professional course.

The good news is that you are the right gender and your chosen dance style is also a plus in terms of employment prospects.

The bad news is that Contemporary Dance is badly paid and spasmodic except for the few in full-time companies. It's not unusual for Contemporary male dancers to work on building sites from time to time.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:27 am 

Thanks for the replies.

I understand it will be hard work being many years behind the majority already dancing, but if its what i really want to do, then i'll do what i have to to get there.

I live in London which has meant that i spend a lot of time watching dance companies at The Place, Saddler Wells, etc.

Stuart, you said i'm the right gender. Can i ask what you mean by that?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:43 am 

Quote:
Stuart, you said i'm the right gender. Can i ask what you mean by that?
Currently, there are far more women competing for places in companies than men.

However, it's not just effort that is required, it is high levels of natural ability and to be honest entanglement you won't know whether you have that for a while yet.

So our advice remains: take a class and devote yourself to becoming as good a dancer as you can, without damaging your current career prospects. You clearly love dance and I'm sure your classes will enhance your appreciation of performances as well.

In Central London, I believe that The London Contemporary Dance School at The Place will have evening classes for Contemporary Dance at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. In Greenwich/Deptford, Laban is another school with similar classes. Both have beautiful new studios.

<small>[ 14 April 2004, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:42 am 

I looked at both evening classes at The Place and Laban but can't start a course until i'm back from holiday in July.

I've done some partner dance before (salsa for 2 years) and I tried breakdancing before I moved to London but I know these don't require the same ability (well salsa anyway).

I'll keep you posted as to how it works out.

Thanks for the advice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:39 am 

Good luck and enjoy your dancing.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]