public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Late starting dancing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:35 am 

HeLlO,
After realising that I wanted to dance so much I've finally decided to get the ball rolling and book in for some lessons. In September I'm going to be taking private and class ballet and tap along with others but as the school started it's beginners lessons at a Leisure Centre and now have their own studios some of the students in the class have been attending for a while.

I'm just worried that I'm going to get thrown in at the deep end and everyone else is going to know what they're doing and I'm not.I'm sure once I start I'll be fine and don't know what I worried over.
I'm usually really confident with any other classes I do it's just I can't get rid of this anxiety..any ideas anyone on how to overcome it and boost my confidence ?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Late starting dancing
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:32 am 

Hi and welcome to CD. I had a teacher who would always remind me that Rome was not built in a day. Just relax and remember that everyone has to start somewhere. Each person in your class has felt just like you when they first started too.

Enjoy your classes!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:02 am 

U go girl. You reach for that moon and you'll catch it some day. Just remember this, you screw up and it's gonna feel horrible because you think everyone in the class is looking at you. Most of the time they aren't and if you hold your head high and act like nothing happened and you're the best in the room you'll convince yourself and then you will be. *smiles innocently* not like I would know or anything. lol. I had myself convinced even though I knew it wasn't true

In his grasp
Crystal

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:15 am 

The teacher would not allow you to join the class if it was not an appropriate level. It may well feel like everyone knows what they are doing when you join, but they will probably feel exactly the same as you.

Don't expect to be able to do everything in the first lesson. Do what you can and keep telling yourself that with every class you will get better. The fact that you are having private lessons as well will probably help to accelerate your learning process too.

Most of all have fun!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:41 am 

Thank you for all the advice - It was what I needed to hear !!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:04 am 

It will be a little like learning a foreign language at first. Try to review and go over in your own mind what your class did each week (call it your "homework"). Check out a book or two from your library about ballet or dance and read up. Look at a couple of ballet videos. You'll see right away and recognize some of the very steps you're starting to learn (such as arabesque, tendu). All of these things will help re-inforce what you're doing. If you really get smitten with the "ballet bug" (and that can be a good thing!), then you may want to try taking additional classes and conditioning (such as swimming). Attending live ballet performances and other kinds of dance programs and shows will help, too. The more you know, the more you can do.

Best wishes for happy dancing and much progress.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]