CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Royal Ballet's Mayerling
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:45 am 

<B>MAYERLING</B><P>As part of the international celebration of Kenneth MacMillan <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Political intrigue or passions too violent to survive? <P>Whatever led to the double suicide of Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria-Hungary and his young mistress, Mary Vetsera, at Mayerling on 30 January 1889 will never be fully known. Framed by the bleak and secret funeral of a court cover-up, Kenneth MacMillan's penetrating interpretation of the events portrays a Prince trapped in an unwanted and loveless marriage, implicated in political intrigue and finally dependant on the solace of morphine.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR>More info <A HREF="http://www.royalballet.org/PerformingSpaces/Index.cfm?ccs=239&cs=496" TARGET=_blank><B>here</B></A>.<P>*************************<P><B>Casts</B><P>29 Oct, 2, 8 Nov<BR><B>Kobborg, Cojocaru, Galeazzi</B><P>30 Oct, 7, 14 Nov<BR><B>Tewsley, Benjamin, Davies</B><P>1, 11, 16 Nov<BR><B>Cope, Rojo, Tapper</B><P>*************************<P><B>Booking Information for Period 2</B><P>1. Advance public postal/online ticket application available 3 August. Deadline for receipt of applications 14 August. <P>2. Telephone and online booking 24 September. <p>[This message has been edited by sylvia (edited June 22, 2002).]

Post subject: Re: The Royal Ballet's Mayerling
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:49 am 

Any comments on the casts? Cojocaru is a surprise choice to me for Mary Vetsera, and for first night at that, but I'm looking forward to seeing her with Kobborg anyway. But the cast I'm really excited about is Rojo-Cope. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:45 am 

I've only seen this on video, but the passion in the pdds must surely make or break "Mayerling", even more so than "Manon".<P>I'll wait to see what is said about the early performances of Cojocaru in this, but at this stage I ha' ma doots. <P>Benjamin/Tewsley could make some sparks fly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:35 am 

Just a reminder that public booking is open. There aren't many good seats left for Cojocaru & Kobborg, Rojo & Cope (believe me, I tried!). I didn't check Benjamin & Tewsley but I presume since there are only 9 performances there won't be much there either. Do give it a go though.

Tel: 020 7304 4000

<small>[ 09-26-2002, 11:36: Message edited by: sylvia ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:49 am 
I;ve seen this ballet danced by David Wall, the creator of the role of Rudolf, in 1984. It was his farewell performance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:50 am 

I have the complete ballet done by the Royal Ballet on tape with:

mayerling complete mukhamedov bussell durante collier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:26 am 

I saw Leanne Benjamin as Maria Vetsera when RB came in Paris and found her very good. For me it was one of the most interesting artist of the RB at this period, but it was nearly 10 years ago.
I saw her with Muchamedov as Rodolph and I don't love at all his play, he was too acting for my taste, a few like in the silent movie.
I love Mac Millan's ballet and I'm a few sorry that POB had just Manon and Dances concertantes from him. They never gave the second since 1984. But Manon is a true masterwork. They must dance it this season in next may-june.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:02 am 

RB casts for BP1+2 are on the ROH website here

Took a quick look - I don't see any changes apart from the fact that Chloe Davies is no longer cast in Mayerling.

<small>[ 10-02-2002, 07:36: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:04 pm 

I would so love to see Mayerling live - I've seen a video but its not the same as watching the Royal Ballet perform! Is it on in London? Can you tell me where and/or if there is a website/telephone number for booking . . .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 4:55 am 

Kate, Mayerling is being performed at the Royal Opera House in London. The website for booking is here. Or you can phone the box-office: 020 7304 4000. You might want to hurry though as there are only 9 performances and not many good seats left - I think availability is a tiny bit better for the Benjamin/Tewlsey performances. Alternatively you can try for day seats which you have to buy in person on the actual day of the performance.

<small>[ 10-03-2002, 06:58: Message edited by: sylvia ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:25 am 

Casts have been updated on the ROH website here.

Mara Galeazzi is replacing Leanne Benjamin who is indisposed, Chloe Davies is on maternity leave and is replaced by Genisia Rosato. The site also includes casts for Marie Larisch, Stephanie, Mitzi Casper, Bratfish.

I'm so pleased Mara's dancing, and with Tewsley too. Looking forward to seeing Chapman as Mitzi Casper too. I can't wait for next week!

<small>[ 10-23-2002, 12:28: Message edited by: sylvia ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 3:43 pm 

Does my creaky old memory serve me correctly that Mara danced with Tewsley in "Onegin"?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:00 am 

Most definitely Stuart! I thought they were so well suited I'm not surprised they're dancing together in Mayerling. After seeing her at the R&J masterclass at the MacMillan conference I am so excited about her Mary Vetsera. With two plum roles in this ballet (she's dancing Madame Larisch as well) I'm glad she's still on the up and up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 3:35 am 

Article in The Times.

Quote:
Dance: under new direction the Royal ballet is paying proper tribute to Kenneth MacMillan

TEN YEARS after his death, what does Kenneth MacMillan mean to the world of ballet? That’s the question posed (wittingly or unwittingly) by the International Celebration of Kenneth MacMillan, a rather grandly titled affair that sets out to honour his memory and ensure that his unique creative spirit is remembered. Next week, the Royal Ballet launches its contribution to the celebration with a revival of Mayerling, the ballet that was being performed when the 62-year-old choreographer had a heart attack and died backstage.

MORE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 5:55 am 

A couple of quotes from Debra Craine's article cannot go unchallenged:

Quote:
It almost came to blows, with Lady MacMillan, who controls the copyright to her husband’s works, threatening to pull the plug on the Royal’s right to perform them.
This action, which I now assume to be true as it has not been refuted by Lady MacMillan, was outrageous in my view. It reminds me of Ron Protas withdrawing the right to perform the Graham catalogue from the Company that bears her name. I do wonder what Kenneth MacMillan would have said about proposing such a damaging act to the company he loved so dearly.

Quote:
Lady MacMillan is delighted by Mason’s decision. “I wasn’t happy with what Ross had planned. I didn’t think it gave a good look at what Kenneth tried to achieve. I didn’t think Kenneth was coming off terribly well under Ross’s directorship. Ross had ludicrous theories about what Kenneth’s work was about. He wanted to schedule 15 performances of Pagodas; it’s absurd. It’s easy to put on the blockbusters; we have seen too much of them.
While a case can be made that "Manon" and "Romeo and Juliet", which remain in the programme, are performed too often, I don't believe "Prince of the Pagodas" has been seen for some time, whereas "Gloria" and "Song of the Earth" have been staged very recently and "The Judas Tree" not that long ago. "Danses Concertantes" is welcome certainly, but in terms of "easy to put on" I note that the admirable tribute to MacMillan at Exeter Festival performed the work earlier this year.

I would have thought staging "Pagodas" would have been a herculean effort and given a chance to reassess a work that divides dance fans and revisit and perhaps clarify the Benesh notation for future generations who were not there at the creation. Perhaps the work's time had come. Now I wonder if the Royal or anyone else will ever stage it again, after Lady MacMillan's dismissive attitude toward it. Nevertheless, as i have said earlier I support Monica Mason's right as current AD to change the season to accord with her artistic vision.

I wonder how long it will be before Ross Stretton is blamed by the UK dance press for the Middle East crisis.

<small>[ 10-25-2002, 13:48: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]