public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: A-level in Dance - a waste?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:49 am 

Hello!!<P>I have just finished school and in September I will go to College, I am considering doing an A-level in dance, but is it worth it? Also, I have never done dance properly, but have been I am tellented. I am very plastic, but lack somewhat in self-confidence, do you guys think I should do it or not, also will I need to take some formal dance lessons before it starts, to see a professional opinion, in which case can someone tell me some good places in the West Midlands (near Birmingham?<P>Tanks in advance for any help!<P>JoN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: A-level in Dance - a waste?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:00 am 

I don't know much about A level dance but I'll try and help. As far as I am aware most A Level dance is based on contemporary dance and as well as practical work there is quite a lot of academic study into practitioners, dance history etc. There will be essays to write as well as performances to produce etc.<P>As far as is it a waste of time, no academic study in my opinion is a complete waste of time, but you have to consider perhaps what you want to do after your A levels and see how this fits in with your plans. Are you planning to take other A levels too? If so getting a good combination that will give you options after A levels will be wise.<P>There are other posters on the board who have more knowledge about dance a levels so hopefully they will post soon.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:36 am 

Hey Jony, Joanne has made a very good point. It all comes down to what you want to do after your "A"-levels, so nothing is a waste, as long as you get a good balance of subjects that will give you enough options to pursue whatever you want after your "A"-levels. <P>While I don't know any schools in the Midlands area - hopefully other posters will have some recommendations - I think it definitely won't hurt to take some dance lessons, especially if you have the time. You'll be surprised at how much you can learn in one lesson! Hope this helps.<BR>

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:11 am 

Thanks! It helps alot, I will also be doing ICT, psychology and french with dance, and I may only do dance as an AS level, so coming out ofcollege I will (or should) have A-levels in: psychology, ICT and french. Is that a good mix? I hope to study something to do with european culture mixed with language.<P>JoN

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:20 am 

Sounds like a good mix to me. I second what malcolm says about going and taking some classes anyway. To help you find a school here are a few websites that may interest you.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.idta.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.idta.co.uk</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.istd.org" TARGET=_blank>www.istd.org</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.rad.org.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.rad.org.uk</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://www.dtol.ndirect.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.dtol.ndirect.co.uk</A> <P>Good luck

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:14 am 

The A Level dance syllabus has changed in the last two years along with the other GCE syllabi with the incorporation of AS and A2 examinations, normally taken in the lower and upper sixth respectively.<P>The AS exam has three sections:<BR>Unit 1 Solo choreography and performance (40%) Here the candidate has to choreograph a solo based on tasks set by the exam board. This is half marked on the choreography and half on technical ability of the candidate.<BR>Unit 2 Analysis and recording (30%) This is a course work essay of approximately 1500 words that analysis and records aspects of the solo choreography and records significant aspects of it in either Laban or Benesh Notation.<BR>Unit 3 Understanding dance (30%) This is the final written exam of two and a half hours where the candidate has to answer seven questions on a variety of topics including 'The Dancer In Action' (practical anatomy, safe practice etc), dance notation and a set dance work (this year either Pulcinella, Romance with footnotes or Winter Dreams).<P>The syllabus is challenging, technically, creatively and intellectually and different candidates normally find they have strengths and weaknesses in different areas. Having taught it this year at a general sixth form I know that there is a general mix of candidates of various levels, particularly in terms of technical ability, so it is quite unlike the more stratified layers of a regular ballet school. Still if you are considering any possible dance course in the future it fills in a number of the holes that regular dance training tends to leave<P>If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:46 pm 

Thanks a lot David. Flexi, in case you're not familiar with this style of board, the middle icon above David's post will give you his e-mail address.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited June 10, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 11:54 pm 

Hello!!<P>Thanks for the information everyone, it was a really great help really!! On the RAD site it says that A-level dance can be done at weekends in London, that would solve ALOT of problems, however London by train is over 2 hours away from me, does anyone know if there are any other places that do it? preferrably in the west midlands. Any help is greatly appreciated once more!<P>JoN

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:03 pm 

I don't specifically know of anywhere. You could contact the RAD and ask if they know or have you tried your local library they will hold prospectuses for local schools/colleges which may be of help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:47 am 

It would be interesting to know about the weekend course - I think a number of people would be interested in that. I know, for example, so many City people that take massage and holistic courses at weekends - evenings being too much after a working day. Of course I do not know what previous qualifications and experience are required for A' level dance - whether previous experience is necessary or whether you can come to it cold, so to speak.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:21 pm 

For more info on the RAD A Level course check <A HREF="http://www.rad.org.uk/default2.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rad.org.uk/default2.html</A> <BR>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]