public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: ADI - William Tuckett
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:58 pm 

A little info on the next Artists' Development Initiative from the ROH website. <BR> <BR>WILLIAM TUCKETT <BR>Clore Studio Upstairs <P>15, 17, 18 April at 8pm £10, £7 <P>Royal Ballet Soloist and choreographer William Tuckett frequently choreographs in and out of the Royal Opera House. A selection of work from Tuckett’s repertory will be presented along with new work by dancers from The Royal Ballet. <P>Box Office: 020 7304 4000<BR> <P>I haven't yet seen any of his work but he seems to have elicited some curious reviews. Book early if interested because seats go fast near the performance dates.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ADI - William Tuckett
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 9:01 am 

I think nearly everyone enjoyed William Tuckett's two romantic pieces for the Irek Mukhamedev shows at Sadler's Wells. Opinions varied about his 'Turn of the Screw' premiered by the Royal Ballet at Sadler's Wells, but I found it intriguing and imaginative and produced performances to treasure from Zenaida Yanovsky as the teacher and Mukhamedev as the evil spirit. The projected scenery effects were described by one critica as taking the art of stage design forward by 10 years. <P>His 'Puert a beuile' (hope that's close to the spelling) for Dance Bites and at Sadler's was based on folk dance themes and performed to mouth music from The Western Isles. I thought it great fun and full of romance. <P>His 'Crucible' on the main stage was enjoyed by few except me. The music by the brilliant Modernist Charles Ives mostly from 80 years ago and the expressionistic designs by Gerald Scarfe didn't help matters with the traddies. The piece may have fared better at Sadler's Wells or on the Continent. Thankfully, William takes Kenneth MacMillan's advice and igores what critics say.<BR> Image <BR><small>self-portrait by Gerald Scarfe</small><P>Overall, Tucklett's work varies in theme and style enormously and an evening of his shorter pieces should be soemthing to look forward to.<P>Here's my thoughts on <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000132.html" TARGET=_blank><B>'The Crucible'</B></A>.<P>And our thread on the <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000349.html" TARGET=_blank><B><BR>2000 Mukhamedev programme.</B></A><P>On a personal note I had the pleasure of interviewing him for piece in Dance Europe and he is the most amusing and unassuming character you can imagine.<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 04, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]