public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dance degrees
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2002 1:08 pm 

Has anybody had any experiences in qualifications in dance, like the Dance Studies degree for instance? In a way I'm just curious as most of them require that you have a very high level of practical skill in dance before starting the course...ah well...*sigh*...

Post subject: Re: Dance degrees
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:51 pm 

I personally do not have a dance degree but I know people who do and are studying for ones. The degree of actual technique and dance expereinec you need depends very much on each programme. Some are a lot more academic than others. Is there a particular programme you are interested or a specific career outcome you want from your degree?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2002 3:43 am 

I very much like the idea of doing a joint honours, e.g. dance studies and anthropology. Even though some of the degrees claim that they are theory based they require an audition (which is to be expected) but seem to base a lot of their decision for acceptance on audition rather than academic achievement, even for the "essay" rather than practical courses. That's the only problem...that, and the fact that I could very happily do the course described above, enjoy it and remain interested for the 3 years but not really know what it leads to. That's the problem, being interested in something but not being able to define what you want to do with your interest!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 5:54 am 

I agree - I know a number of young graduates of dance degrees who will not go on to perform and never intended to, who feel quite directionless and undecided - it takes some positive thought ahead of time to determine your next step.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:20 am 

Tanzen my advice would be to visit some university open days that do the type of courses that appeal to you. Talk to the tutors and students and find out the sort of jobs graduates have gone on to do. See if any of that appeals for you.<P>As for the auditions etc again speak to the colleges about the requirements. If you are looking at going next year you have time to become more experienced if you have a clear idea of what is reuired of you and what you want to gain from the experience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:32 am 

Exactly, I'm worried I'll graduate...and then what? Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to find out job prospects etc. before I put my name down for anything, and as for auditions...well, I can dance and do (not as much as I'd like to), but I don't think I'm good enough for the standard demanded, although I suppose a lot of people who are cut out for performing don't apply for these courses, but the more "performing" ones instead. Even if job prospects are ok, and the course is er...do-able, there's still some parental persuasion to carry out!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:01 am 

Tanzen, I studied dance at university, I am now teaching dance. I don't know what many people are doing that were on my course. A couple I do know are teaching, one person is starting her own dance company. A couple have gone on to perform (this is exceptionally rare unless you continue with postgraduate performance course). I think a lot of people are not actually doing anything to do with dance. I went in knowing that I wanted to teach, therefore when choosing modules I chose ones that would help with my intended career. I agree with Emma you do have to think ahead to work out what you want to do.<P>With regards to technique and auditions: I did have to do an audtion, but they weren't looking for us to be accomplished dancers nor dancers with a perfect physique as the intention was not to produce performers. I think they want to see that you can move and have the ability to take part in technique classes. After my first year you didn't have to do any technique if you didn't want to and the amount you could do was limited. You could only chose to do a maximum of 3 techniques. They were very academically based. Some people i knew went on to do 1 year postgraduate performing courses as if you did do as much technique as you could like I did, you gained a good grounding in technique to work from. I don't know what other universities are like but we could cater our course to our needs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:44 am 

Jane, can I ask which university you went to? You don't have to answer if it's too personal, but there aren't many that do Dance Studies degrees and it sounds a bit like the course at Middlesex. Do you think that your qualification has helped you at all in your career? It's nice to hear the truth, that few students go on to work in dance, it's useful to know before choosing a course! In your (or anybody elses) opinion, would combining dance with another subject like psychology or business/marketing be more beneficial? Or should I try to drop the whole idea...?<P>Sorry, that was a lot of questions!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:50 pm 

I started off doing Drama with Business Studies at university and by the end of the second year i had dropped the Business Studies and went for single honours drama. The reason my results in Business Studies were not consistent, I would get a first in one module and a 3rd in another - and my work didn't vary that much. I also found I was put in difficult groups for projects because they felt I would chivvy them along. This I felt was unfair and was jeopardising my degree.<P>In Drama I averaged 2:1 from the start and I enjoyed the courses more.<P>For some the contrast will work well for me I know that only having to concentrate on one subject for my final year was beneficial especially as i had to take on an extra 20 credits in order to get a single honours Drama degree.<p>[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited April 04, 2002).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:25 am 

I am re thinking my future , there is too much violence/verbal abuse in medicine and i don't want to be worried about doing my job every day..so i have looked at doing something connected to dance ( ballet in particular ) , i got the prospectuses from the Laban Center and from the Royal Academy of Dance , so i just have to look through them and make my mind up...will look at some of the universitys as well....i have about a year to make my mind up..so i'll keep you posted.....any advice from anyone??<P>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:59 am 

Sugar plum fairy, if you're considering universities, Roehampton has a very attractive programme that would suit almost anyone, as it's modular. Actually, I really like the look of it myself!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 8:09 am 

Tanzen I went to Roehampton and I did really enjoy it. With regards to what I'm doing now. Some of the things I'm doing, I could do without my degree. For example working in local ballet schools. I didn't need a degree for this, I needed teaching qualifications with a recognised association which I studied alongside my degree with another teacher. I also teach aerobics and fitness, again I didn't need my degree for this and I'm pursuing a career in Pilates which I also didn't need my degree for. However I am teaching GCSE and A-level dance which I don't feel I could do without my degree. I also plan to do a PGCE which I need a degree for, even though I don't plan to do this straight away.<P>Even though I have said the majority of things I'm currently doing, I could do without my degree, if I am completely honest, I feel that I am doing them better because of the time I have spent at Roehampton. I feel better informed to teach technique, and studying notation has helped me, studying history and analysis and choreography has all helped enrich my teaching and my ideas for choreography too. That is my feelings and before going to university I knew that most of the things I was going to do I could without it, but I love dance so much I just wanted to study it full time. I also felt that if I was going for a job it does sound good if you have a degree in the subject you are going to teach.<P>I certainly wouldn't say it was a waste of time. Definately the opposite.<P>With regards to what you should do, I can't answer that for you as you probably know. It's something you have to decide for yourself. If I had my time again I would definately do exactly what I've done all over again. You can study another subject, if you don't like it, you can drop it after your first year like Joanne said with her business studies. I know two people who studied combined dance and business. One of those is teaching dance in a further education college, the other is working in business and not doing anything to do with dance as far as I know. I think it is important to study something that you are going to enjoy, three years is a hell of a long time.<P>I do think that my degree has helped me with my career, but at this moment in time I think it is more on a personal level than in terms of what I'm doing as a job. Maybe this will change in time. It certainly will if I do a PGCE. I also want to do MA and a PHD so my degree is a requirement for that too.<P>My advice is go and visit the unis.<P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]